Moving to the UK, London

(16 Posts)
ayshetuba Fri 08-Jan-16 11:49:26

Dear Mums,
We are a Turkish couple relocating to London, possibly in May. I have to sons, and I will be working in Bethnal Green. My husband won't be working until my older son starts school. He will mind the baby as well.
Actually I have loads of questions and don't know where to start. For the beginning we are looking for an inexpensive house, within a reasonable distance from Bethnal Green. I have never lived in London, I know it is the most expensive city. How possible is it to find a house with a monthly rent of 1k in a decent place? What areas should we look, considering public transportation links? Again, for the beginning we won't own a car, and live on one salary...
How much are approximate taxes and bills in London? For example when we rent a house, what will be the possible amount of monthly tax?

specialsubject Fri 08-Jan-16 13:00:19

first stop for you is rightmove.co.uk, which covers lots of rental properties and shows you what you get for your money. Not much, I expect.

council tax can be found on the appropriate council website. Other bills are not really area dependent, you need to budget for gas, electric, water and contents insurance.

also read this:
www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent/how-to-rent-the-checklist-for-renting-in-england

with no UK credit history expect to pay six months upfront, and you will be asked to demonstrate you have a right to be in the UK as all landlords have to check that now.

finally; if a property is very cheap, it will be cheap for a reason. Don't be like so many on here, who rent a tatty dump from a crook and then seem surprised when all goes badly.

originalmavis Fri 08-Jan-16 13:04:16

I used to live there and it is quite a poor council so services aren't great. It may have changed but its still a poor area.

It's very close to Liverpool Street mainline station and there is a bethnal green train station - this would take you eastwards and towards Essex.

Can your new job advise?

ayshetuba Fri 08-Jan-16 13:15:25

Actually my sponsor is A-rated and they will provide us with a letter for the landlords. we have just started visa process and it will take some time so I haven't mentioned to my new job. They will definitely advise.

dogvcatcat Fri 08-Jan-16 13:19:16

How possible is it to find a house with a monthly rent of 1k in a decent place?

A house? None whatsoever, not in London. Most 1 bed flats are a minimum of £850 pcm at the very least. I don't think there's any way you will find a house for £1k a month.

Anywhere round Bethnal Green is now very trendy and very expensive, I think it will be out of your budget and you are going to have to look further afield. Perhaps in the Greater London area such as Romford or in a relatively deprived area of London like East Ham. Both are not nice areas but for your budget you are going to really struggle for anything nicer or more central.

Even a couple or single person with only £1000 a month to spend on rent would struggle to live somewhere decent in London.

Sorry to put you on a downer, but that is the reality here unfortunately...

originalmavis Fri 08-Jan-16 13:22:16

You'd get a 2 bed flat for £700 a week around here. London is mad priced!

I'd definately look at moving further out on the train line (of course travel is expensive too).

dogvcatcat Fri 08-Jan-16 13:23:58

For 3 bedrooms or more in a relatively decent area of London you need at least £2000 a month, and that is really pushing it. DP and I pay £1950 pcm for our flat in a nice area, and that is only a 2 bedroom, small flat.

In south east London eg Hither Green (which is nice, we are moving there soon) you can get a 2 bed flat for around £1400 per month.

You need to up your budget or re-evaluate your expectations/location requirements.

ayshetuba Fri 08-Jan-16 13:55:11

Thanks for your encouraging responses smile Then let's talk about the wors places to rent in London. There must be some areas that you think I should not live with kids.

IShouldBeSoLurky Fri 08-Jan-16 14:04:19

Honestly, the age your kids are I don't think you need worry too much. If they were teenagers then there might be areas where you wouldn't want to live because of the influence they might come under at school etc, but with children the age your are you needn't worry - even the grottiest parts of London have lots of families living there.

If I were you I would look in areas where you have friends/family, because it can be hard to find your feet and build a social life when you are new to the UK, especially in London. You should be able to get a 2-bed flat for £1K in most parts of zone 3 - maybe as a starting point check out the Tube map and look for areas that are commutable to Bethnal Green easily. But as others have said, you won't get a house for £1K.

ayshetuba Fri 08-Jan-16 14:07:29

Thanks very much!

dogvcatcat Fri 08-Jan-16 14:26:14

There must be some areas that you think I should not live with kids

Well I grew up in a shitty, gang-ridden area of East London and I have never been stabbed, mugged or otherwise threatened, so I am biased.

I think one's impressions of London are very very different if you grew up here than if you just move here. It's the same as anywhere really. I feel safe in parts of London others wouldn't feel safe in because I know them well. And I wouldn't feel safe in some parts because they're not familiar to me.

specialsubject Fri 08-Jan-16 14:54:22

this will produce screams of outrage, but your kids are no more or less important than you are - they are the same. So if an area is unsuitable for you, it is unsuitable for them. In some ways you are more important as the provider.

but as it looks like you don't have enough money for what you want, it is a bit academic! Don't forget to factor in London's expensive travel costs, and the time involved for the long commute.

dogvcatcat Fri 08-Jan-16 15:11:04

You should be able to get a 2-bed flat for £1K in most parts of zone 3

I honestly think even in zone 3 a 2 bed for this budget will be a stretch. A one bed would be ok, but not a 2 bed.

illycoffee Fri 08-Jan-16 19:54:29

Places in Zone 4/5 like Barking, Ilford, Plumstead, Croydon might be within budget, but for flats not houses. Ilford would be a reasonable commute into Liverpool St which is not far from Bethnal Green. Cheshunt is just outside London and is on the line to Bethnal Green and you could get a 2 bed flat for £1k there. But commuting costs will be high, and local public transport won't be as good as London, so you might need a car.

N3wYear2016 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:04:09

Living in South of Uk is expensive

You need to find out what your net salary will be (net is after paying tax & national insurance)

To rent you normally have to pay a deposit which is kept by a company until you leave
Money can be deducted for damages
You will need to sign a written contract

You can see prices to rent here www.zoopla.co.uk/

Monthly you would probably need to pay
Rent
Council tax
Water
Electricity
Gas if it is installed for heating & cooking or just electric
Internet
Telephone landline or mobile phone
Television license
Transport (unless you can walk to work)
Food
You may pay some insurance eg critical illness, house contents, private health - these are not compulsory

Hassled Fri 08-Jan-16 22:14:53

If your husband is going to be staying home with the children, would it be helpful to find an area where there is already a large Turkish population? Is his English as good as yours? This link might be useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now