staire spindles

(8 Posts)
Cautlyn8795 Fri 08-Jan-16 00:33:15

So quick question.. do you fit more of them without taking your whole staircase apart??

wowfudge Fri 08-Jan-16 06:59:51

You'll have to give us more than that to go on I think. Can you post a photo and explain what you mean please?

Pipistrella Fri 08-Jan-16 07:02:07

Should be possible. Currently restoring ours.

Cautlyn8795 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:32:25

The stairecase has spindles but just one per step. To wide for our crawling climbing baby. Want to add one extra to each step

wowfudge Fri 08-Jan-16 09:45:27

I'm with you now. Yes, should be possible. Often the spindles fit into a channel and then wooden plates fit into/over the top of the channel to hold the spindles in place and cover the channel. If it's an original, older staircase you might need a carpenter to do the work. Matching the spindles up exactly might not be possible, but if you are adding an extra one between each two existing then you can create a pattern that will look okay. Hope that makes sense. What does the gap between spindles measure?

Cautlyn8795 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:44:15

Im not sure as nt there at the moment. This is the staircase though. Does that look like the channel your referring too? Thanks for your help! X

wowfudge Fri 08-Jan-16 21:43:25

Crikey - that is odd! It looks as though the spindles are fitted to a modern rail; I wonder if in the past the original spindles had been removed or boxed in in some way? This is what the type I was talking about look like. The handrail is the same flipped over.

I'd get a carpenter to take a look and quote for adding spindles. If there are similar houses on the street, one of your neighbours may have the originals so you can see what they would have looked like.

Cautlyn8795 Fri 08-Jan-16 23:09:10

Thank for your help wowfudge will get someone to come round and see it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now