Crack on internal wall

(6 Posts)
BoysRule Mon 04-Jan-16 18:11:01

We have a long crack on an internal wall - stretching from about a foot away from the ceiling down to a foot away from the ground.

It was here when we moved in - we filled and painted it but it has returned. It is vertical - not completely straight but not really jagged.

It is playing on my mind - should I get it looked at? And if so who by?

SparklingMoon Sat 09-Jan-16 11:10:21

I got a plasterer to look at the cracks in my house and fix them. He did a good job of fixing them.

BoysRule Sat 09-Jan-16 11:17:40

Thanks - I don't know if I should just plaster over it or be more concerned about the reason it is there.

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Jan-16 11:26:09

When you know on the wall at the crack does it sound hollow compared to other bits of the same wall?

It may be that the plaster is shot - in which case you will have to take it off and replaster to get rid of the problem.

Is it a non load bearing wall? It's likely ok tbh. We have something similar but realised it was the gap between the the brick and the plasterboard where they put new stairs in.

BoysRule Sat 09-Jan-16 11:29:50

Yes, it does sound more hollow where the crack is and it's a non load bearing wall - it's a ground floor extension.

Sounds like other than cosmetically it is fine to leave then.

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Jan-16 11:41:17

Probably fine then (I have zero qualifications aside from having extensively renovated 2 houses!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now