Changing kitchen doors Surrey/sw London

(5 Posts)
Maplessglobe Mon 28-Dec-15 21:49:58

Hi all
I know this has been asked before- apologies.
We're moving soon to a house with a lovely kitchen but just in a colour I'm not mad keen on (shaker style cream). I don't know why, I just much prefer white. Or even grey. It's good quality though, and around 4 years old, so not shabby. I feel like a spoiled brat wanting to change the doors, but I do.
So... Should I bother? If so, do I get a joiner, or just get standard doors and fit them ourselves? Any recommendations? Or should I just paint the doors? If so, any advice as to how would be much appreciated.

If I should just live with it, feel free to tell me. grin

Maplessglobe Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:30

Bump!

TremoloGreen Tue 29-Dec-15 17:18:12

Personally, I would just paint them if the colour is the only thing you don't like. I have just spent ~£850 replacing doors and handles on a medium size kitchen, this was using not particularly expensive doors and fitting DIY. If you do want to go down this route, I can recommend Lark & Larks for price and customer service.

To paint, it depends what finish you have currently and what finish you want. Basic method would be: take them all off (label door andsave hinges in a labelled bag), invest in a decent sander (£40) and sand them, prime them with Zinsser BIN or similar, then two coats of a good quality eggshell with a denib (quick ultra fine grain sand) inbetween.(I can bore you about eggshell paints further if you wish). You will need a good system and space to dry out the doors. Invest in decent brushes and mini rollers for a good finish.

TremoloGreen Tue 29-Dec-15 17:22:35

ps, not a spoiled brat, I change the colour of everything on buying a new house, but I am obsessed with colour schemes and I love painting. Depends if you do.

Maplessglobe Tue 29-Dec-15 17:30:18

Thanks, tremolo that's great advice. flowers

I think in that case we will go down the painting route since I have no issue with the design or quality of the doors otherwise. I was just worried the result would not be good and DH would give me this look hmm. I am pretty particular and we chose everything in our current house from scratch since it was a wreck so I'm very weirded out by living in someone else's choice of paint/wallpaper etc! Glad to know I'm not a complete weirdo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now