induction jobs. why?

(22 Posts)
Madelinehatter Mon 28-Dec-15 18:12:39

Been at SILs. She has one. For the life of me I can't see the attraction. Why are induction hobs seen as good? Or maybe I am doing it wrong!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 28-Dec-15 19:22:53

Easy to clean
As responsive as gas
Next best thing to gas if you are in a rural no gas area

... As long as you treat it as if it were the same as gas - ie don't expect a slow start up or residual heat like an electric hob ...

BanningTheWordNaice Mon 28-Dec-15 19:25:40

No access to gas and would have difficulty installing gas cannisters. As long as you get induction rather than ceramic you've got something that heats up as quickly as gas.

MiaowTheCat Mon 28-Dec-15 19:44:44

I'm getting one for the easy to clean aspect of them. I hate the faff of cleaning our gas one

Samaritan1 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:00:31

When the pan boils over the job is still cool enough to just wipe clean - when I had ceramic everything burnt on.

They are ultra- responsive too. I love mine.

Madelinehatter Mon 28-Dec-15 23:11:12

Just couldn't get the hang of it.

futureme Mon 28-Dec-15 23:12:52

I want one.

Madelinehatter Tue 29-Dec-15 06:08:47

Just realised I said jobs and not hobs! At least you all knew what I meant!

SweepTheHalls Tue 29-Dec-15 06:11:21

Easy to clean, instant heat, cool down really rapidly, acts as more worktop space when not in use! I would have to change any other hob to induction now!

Believeitornot Tue 29-Dec-15 07:44:53

Why couldn't you get the hang?

Madelinehatter Tue 29-Dec-15 09:04:27

I couldn't get the controls right and then it didn't seem obvious when they were on. Maybe I am just thick! I am used to turning a knob and the gas comes on or off. This was a lot of pushing on dots,mothers was a child proof thingy so had to push on a key symbol. It wasn't obvious when you touched the controls if the hob was off or on........

Just seemed difficult. I was thinking of getting one too. I need a simple version. This was a Neff.

MaynJune Tue 29-Dec-15 09:52:13

Not familiar with the Neff one, but mine is so easy - fifteen power levels plus a boost, and timers for each zone so I rarely burn pans any more.

A couple of seconds to wipe it clean, no knobs to catch dirt in, it's fabulous and I'd never dream of going back to gas.

TheLesserSpottedBee Tue 29-Dec-15 11:04:56

I had one fitted two years ago, would never go back to a gas hob now.

Mine tells you when it is on, ie there is a number by the display indicating which zone is working. When you turn it off it has a H for hot. If you remove a pan it will turn itself off.

No nooks and crannies for dirt/germs, and like May it has a timer for each zone and I can combine two zones for larger pans.

It is touch display just like a smart phone, increase temp by pressing the + decrease by pressing the - and choose the zone by pressing the circle next to the zone.

Mine is De Dietrich.

slicedfinger Tue 29-Dec-15 11:08:22

We've had two different Neff ones (different houses, not changed it!) and find them really straightforward. Maybe you just needed to not worry about it? Way better than gas in my experience. More control, and you can of course start it as slowly or as quickly as you like. Obviously digital controls will "feel" different, but perhaps it was just the child lock that was complicating it for you.

MaynJune Tue 29-Dec-15 12:43:43

Mine is De Dietrich as well, and I've had it for years.

Unfortunately friends bought one a few years later and it broke down several times. They've stuck with induction but replaced it with a different make.

Bunbaker Tue 29-Dec-15 12:49:40

"As responsive as gas"

This ^^.

Every time we go on holiday and stay in a cottage we end up with an electric non induction hob. I hate the things. I must waste so much electricity by having two hobs on the go at the same time so I can switch a pan from the high heat one to the low heat one so that it doesn't burn the food or boil over. All because they are so slow to respond.

I cook on a gas hob at home BTW.

Believeitornot Wed 30-Dec-15 15:33:23

You have to put a pan on for the induction heat to kick in - pressing the buttons is one thing but it won't get hot until a pan is on it.
That's why I love them!

NotCitrus Wed 30-Dec-15 15:49:07

Was the touch controls the problem? BIL has a lovely cooker but the flat panel with touch sensitive bits is totally impossible with my fingers. So I'm not too fussy abouthobs as long as there are proper knobs.

Cressandra Wed 30-Dec-15 19:53:16

I don't get it either. Our 2014-bought, Which best buy non-induction electric hob is a flat plate of glass so easy to clean, and it's waaay more responsive than an older electric one. And it works with any saucepan.

It was a bit of a punt to buy it hoping the technology had improved, but it had and the new one has none of the slow response times I associate with previous electric hobs (much older I guess, & cheaper) in flatshares, holiday cottages etc. I'm so glad we didn't fork out an extra £400+ on induction.

Ta1kinPeece Wed 30-Dec-15 21:44:09

Induction is wonderful
cheaper to run than any other type of hob
safer than any other type of hob (as the hob itself is not heated)
easy to clean

not sure how an induction is £400 extra - my Neff one only cost £300

MiaowTheCat Thu 31-Dec-15 07:46:42

I've literally been costing them out this week just gone (ordered our kitchen appliances as the sales started) and even the pricey Bosch/Neff ones are only just at the £300 mark so hardly "£400 more"

liinyo Thu 31-Dec-15 20:39:39

I heat cast iron pan to absolutely as hot as possible to sear beef and steaks and I have found the induction hobs I have tried have a safety cut out before the pan reaches the desired heat. Does anyone know of a brand or model that does not do this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now