How do you light your staircase?

(7 Posts)
Thistledew Sun 27-Dec-15 21:03:29

Our extension/loft conversion project will require two new staircases, which for fire regulation purposes will have to be against a wall on one side and boarded with plasterboard on the other. They will be fairly narrow and as steep as the building regs will permit.

I am pondering how to light it -

Do I go for spotlights? One top, middle and bottom.

Or units with clusters of three directional lights, that I can direct up and down the stair cases?

Any other suggestions?

ecosln Sun 27-Dec-15 22:47:17

We have these: Lola trimless low level plaster in ... We have the thin ones. Look really nice

www.mr-resistor.co.uk/trimless-lola-range

gingeroots Mon 28-Dec-15 09:36:05

As above (I think ) low level lights
www.miles-nelson.com/lumos_illuminated_handrails.php

The image on the left
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01842/staircase-2_1842176b.jpg

Alonglongway Mon 28-Dec-15 09:48:03

I saw a newly refurbished house with lighting at side of stairs as on Gingeroot's post - Looked fantastic

gingeroots Mon 28-Dec-15 12:14:42

I'm especially p*ssed off because I paid an electrician to put in one additional light at the foot of my internal staircase .
Had I realised quite how many holes he was going to cut through the plasterboard in the wall to do this I could have gone for those lovely side of tread lights >>sigh<<

And now I'm going to have whole wall replastered .If I can find anyone who'll deign to take on such a small job .Agreed to £170 ,days work with me PVCing the wall the day before .But despite promises and platerer delegating to a mate . I don't want a mate ( tho I agreed ) ,I want you because you were the recommended one . But still not plastered .

PigletJohn Mon 28-Dec-15 13:23:25

not spotlights. They are for illuminating spots, to give a pool of light in a dark room. Downlighters do the same but the pool is not so sharp.

Diffuse light from luminaires in the ceiling will illuminate the stairs evenly. People on the stairs should not put the treads or handrails into shade.

With energy saving lamps the cost of keeping it well lit is trifling. Some lamps have a delay while they reach full brightness, but staircases should be constantly in good light. Mine are on timers.

ecosln Mon 28-Dec-15 20:13:09

Meant to post this photo earlier. These are the Lola trimless...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now