what's the shortest time you've lived in a house you have bought?

(28 Posts)
IamSantaClaus Tue 22-Dec-15 13:29:43

We've only been in our house for 2 years . I like the house but am not in love with it . It is in the catchment area of an ok primary school but if we moved 5 minutes down the road we'd be in the catchment area of a school with a much better reputation .

Realistically we'd only really have a year to move as dd will start school in 2017.

I just don't know if I have the energy to contemplate moving so soon with all the expense and all the stress. Has anyone moved a short time after buying a house ? Does anybody regret it?

CanadianJohn Tue 22-Dec-15 13:40:57

About 35 years ago, we bough a house in January and left during the summer. Job transfers in both cases.

My wife said "never again", in addition to other less-polite words.

LaFlottes Tue 22-Dec-15 13:42:56

We are moving after about 3.5 years. We do love our house, but can now afford a bit more space and think we may as well go for it now (although it's a total nightmare!!).

I think if it affects school etc, you should go for it!

Sgtmajormummy Tue 22-Dec-15 13:49:44

18 months in 2007/08. Bought high, sold low. A bloodbath, but the long-distance move was a change for the better in the long run.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 22-Dec-15 13:56:20

2 years (3 times)

We're moving again inside 3 years this year and it's going to be incredibly hard this time as we have about 2 giant trucks worth of stuff - those largest removal vans. Last time we moved we had over 100 boxes, this time it will be more. Fuck.

potap123 Tue 22-Dec-15 14:00:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamSantaClaus Tue 22-Dec-15 14:17:53

shock. I can't believe some of you have done it multiple times . Obviously circumstances dictate moves sometimes but it's just such hard work .

Hmmm . Must look into it after Christmas . I guess if it's the area we want to be in long term it might be better to just get it over and done with before the prices go up even more .

lugo40 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:11:39

We moved out of the last house after 2 years 2 months and 2 days. It went on the market about 5 months earlier. We've been in those house a year and know we will move.

Ta1kinPeece Tue 22-Dec-15 17:32:52

10 months.
Made a 50% profit.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 22-Dec-15 17:46:20

Two years twice here too and three years each at the last two houses blush

We seem to have a tendency to buy with our hearts not our heads - have owned some amazing period wrecks houses that we've spent literally hundreds of thousands restoring - as they are often not in the best location. Unfortunately we lost 60k on one move as a result of the crash (we did sell in ten days though), but clawed it back (and some!) on the next one.

You'd think we'd have learned from our mistakes by now, but obviously not as I think we'll be selling up again in the next 18 months - completed on the purchase if this place a year ago. Removals alone have set us back 10k in the last eight years shock

Life's too short to live with your mistakes though - go for it!

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 22-Dec-15 17:47:08

of not if!

Thepinkcricket Tue 22-Dec-15 17:55:03

Will be a week shy of two years when we move in January. Don't love the house, we like the area we are moving to now more than current area and see us being there long term. So decided to take the plunge and move now before the dc start school. So selling our practical sensible house and buying a much less practical house that we love love love.
Financially we have done ok even with moving costs luckily. It's disruptive for dc1 (and us) though so am hoping not to move again for a bit!

HoggleHoggle Tue 22-Dec-15 18:09:39

11 months. Fucking awful tiny flat in London that we hated, and the shitty neighbours. We'd also renovated it and luckily broke just over even. Unfortunately, we sold to two absolute sociopaths and it was without doubt the most stressful 3 months of my life. Still the right decision though.

Ruhrpott Tue 22-Dec-15 19:00:23

3 years, liked the house, hated the area.

SquinkiesRule Tue 22-Dec-15 19:25:03

4 years by the time we sold it.

sinber Tue 22-Dec-15 19:32:07

Two and a half years, our first house. Bought for £4,300 and sold for £11,000. We're in our third house now and I'm still not sure about it, even after 30 years. Can't be arsed to move.

Schools not an issue though!

Cressandra Tue 22-Dec-15 20:34:23

18 months. Best move we ever made, but we took a couple of years off DIY after that (house 1 was a fixer upper).

Nothing more stressful than trying to move in a hurry, to a hard deadline. The earlier you start the less stress you'll have overall.

check when the school application deadline is round you. It's 15th Jan round here.

fuctifino Tue 22-Dec-15 20:43:51

7 months.
Moved in August, applied for a job in December, relocated in March.

IamSantaClaus Tue 22-Dec-15 23:05:40

Thanks for your replies everyone . I think if we're going to do it we should start very soon as school applications are in the same time here. I'll broach it again with dh after Christmas . He wasn't overly keen the first time I mentioned it hmm. Long term though it is where we want to be .

regretsihaveafew Wed 23-Dec-15 22:11:33

2 years. It went on the market after the 18 months it took to do it up. Horrible neighbours, and my dog was attacked by theirs.

Made a good profit though and went on to buy a great place.

catbasilio Sat 26-Dec-15 23:45:55

First house - 5.5 years. Second (current) house - 8 months so far and thinking too put on the market in the spring. Good house but not amazed by suburban style of living. We moved for a secondary school catchment which is 3 years ahead and I feel very bad but I can't bear the suburbs for that long.

likeaboss Mon 28-Dec-15 16:50:12

We're hoping to sell in Summer 2016, by which time we'll have been in our house 2 years exactly.

We bought in a panic as I was pregnant and we wanted to get on the ladder, everything was going within days of being put on the market (South East), so we offered on everything we saw. Massively regret it as this house is ugly, with cheap fixtures and fittings, and is too far from our families. Really hate not having a driveway when I've got a toddler to lug to and from the car! Also suffered appalling PND after DD was born and this house reminds me of it every day. Hate the place.

Feel quite bad for the house really grin - it's spacious, the neighbours are lovely and keep their houses/lawns very tidy. It's a 10 minute walk to the station, trains are 25 mins to central London. Area is up and coming. It's just not for us!

Clawdy Wed 30-Dec-15 12:57:41

Eight months. Nightmare neighbours. fsad

scarlets Fri 01-Jan-16 23:51:04

I lived in four houses as a child. The first one, my parents' first home after marriage, was small and they wanted more space so they were right to move from there after 13 years. However, the middle two only lasted 3 years apiece. In both cases my parents made hasty, foolish decisions in retrospect, and they've recently told me that they didn't make money on either of the middle 2. They really messed up.

However, the fourth house was exactly right and they remained there for many years until they sensibly downsized to something more modern with a small garden in 2014.

They should have moved directly from House #1 to House #4 and saved expense and bother.

It's horses for courses though. The sellers of House #4 had only been there for 2 years when my parents bought it. They moved about half a mile away, and they told my mum years later when she bumped into them in the supermarket, that they'd never settled there and that the big garden was overwhelming and making them miserable. And the buyers of our House #3 are still there 30 years later - they obviously like it more than my parents did!

cressetmama Sun 03-Jan-16 19:24:44

The people who bought our old house stayed five weeks! Then they moved and rented it out. Their dog hated the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now