Would you install a dishwasher across a kitchen door and other prospective tenant requests?

(17 Posts)
Reasontobelieve Tue 01-Dec-15 07:51:29

I have a house that is currently up for letting through an agent. I have only had two offers in about 4 months. The latest offer has come from a couple who have requested that as part of the deal, I should provide them (at my expense) with a larger fridge-freezer and a dishwasher.

The kitchen is very small and when I lived there, we didn't install a dishwasher due to the lack of space. They have requested that I install it across the kitchen door and they will use a french door in the adjacent living room as an exit.

The agent appears to think that this is a reasonable request and that I should consider it. I feel that it is not a good idea, as it blocks off an exit and the floor is uneven. I just don't think that it will work. As far as I can see, there are no regs that prevent the kitchen door bring blocked off, but it does seem to me that the kitchen would be less safe.

What do you think?

Mehitabel6 Tue 01-Dec-15 07:54:35

I wouldn't do it. It seems a fire hazard.

Penfold007 Tue 01-Dec-15 08:15:27

The letting agent is suggesting you block an exit with a heavy appliance, I'm really surprised. Personally I'd change letting agents, make sure the rent is reasonable for your area and rent to different tenants.

GreenSand Tue 01-Dec-15 08:23:02

I wouldn't do it if it means only one door in/out of kitchen.
Could washing machine / tumble drier be moved to a bathroom or garage or somewhere to make space for a dishwasher?
Go jump on the larger fridge, unless it's microscopic.
How fast it property letting near you? If fast, change agent. If very slow, drop price, and hope.

LIZS Tue 01-Dec-15 08:24:29

No they rent as seen.

Optimist1 Tue 01-Dec-15 08:28:23

Most flats (other than ground floor) only have one door in/out of their kitchen, don't they?

MotherofFlagons Tue 01-Dec-15 08:33:41

I would not do it.

specialsubject Tue 01-Dec-15 09:21:48

no, that is an awful bodge and will shout 'duff landlord' to future tenants.

as mentioned, change agent, drop price or both.

GreenSand Tue 01-Dec-15 10:04:25

Flats other than ground floor have (or should have,) a window which opens wide enough to get out of if needed.

Sunnyshores Tue 01-Dec-15 10:09:04

It depends where your kitchen is - we had a flat where if you were in the bedrooms and had to evacuate, you had to pass the kitchen. So the kitchen had to have a fire door, so that if a fire started in the kitchen and you were in the bedrooms the fire wouldnt spread quickly and block your only exit.

Anyway, it seems an unreasonable request to me on safety grounds and expense.

Change agents or go dual agents. Dropping the price even by £25pcm may help, offer £100 cashback if in by Xmas or £100 off Jans rent.

Epilepsyhelp Tue 01-Dec-15 13:17:16

No. Get a new agent.

thenewbroom Tue 01-Dec-15 13:28:44

I wouldn't - the agent is just slavering over his potential commission, of course he thinks it's reasonable if he stands to make 10% a month or whatever from now on! He doesn't care what a bodge job it will look like!

SauvignonPlonker Tue 01-Dec-15 14:25:13

As a tenant, I would never have made such a request (rented for 5 years). As a LL (of 10 years +) I would be very suspicious of tenants who make such ridiculous demands - what will they ask for next? And of an agent who thinks that's reasonable.

Have you any idea why you have only had 2 offers on the place?

bessiebumptious2 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:34:14

Nope, wouldn't do this and you could set a precedent by agreeing. If they want to rent, then they rent as it is.

In fact, I'd empty it of all furnishings if people are going to be picky - I'm assuming that there's a fridge there but it's too small? I'd take it out and let them find somewhere to put a monster fridge if they want (without bashing your house around, obviously).

If you install the dishwasher where they want it, and there's a fire and they can't get out because of it, who's fault is that? It will be yours...

Get a better agent and find out why it's not letting quickly.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 01-Dec-15 18:36:55

I wouldn't do it.

But I also wouldn't rent a house without a dishwasher so I would reconfigure the kitchen to get one in.

Havalina1 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:46:09

What sorted fridge is there currently?

I moved into a two bed apartment last year and asked for a family size fridge. They were able to get one even though it looked like a bit of an eyesore, as a mum I couldn't manage without a decent fridge. Is the flat workable for two adults or whatever with the current provisions?

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 02-Dec-15 08:42:26

shock
No no no !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now