Has anyone replaced parts from their dishwasher?

(12 Posts)
HexBramble Sun 08-Nov-15 13:56:03

My DW has seen better days. It's 10 yr old, and bits inside have snapped and broken. The salt lid won't stay on and the hinge that keeps the tablet/cleaner in doesn't shit so I have to balance it on the cutlery basket at the moment, and that has holes in it!

I maintain the blades regularly by taking them off and checking for blockages, but each cycle doesn't wash properly. My glasses are gritty and my plates are never clean. Don't really have the spare cash to replace the whole unit, but would be keen to know how successful replacing these plastic parts are.

Problem is, I can't even see any screws or fixings to remove them.

Advice please!

BananaPie Sun 08-Nov-15 15:08:09

Have you checked how much replacement parts cost? They're surprisingly expensive!

lalalonglegs Sun 08-Nov-15 16:20:28

Yes, the parts are really expensive and having them fitted is fiddly and often requires a professional. Unless it is integrated, a good new one could be bought for a couple of hundred quid - perhaps ask for some Xurrys/Argos/John Lewis vouchers for Christmas?

elephantoverthehill Sun 08-Nov-15 16:27:11

The internet companies that sell the spare parts have always been very helpful. Not my dishwasher but my fridge and shower. I emailed them and their replies were very sensible and straight forward. ie 'you can't replace the seal on that fridge as it is integrated and the cost of a replacement door means you are probably better getting a new fridge.'

elephantoverthehill Sun 08-Nov-15 16:35:11

sorry I meant to add that they may be able to give you advice about how to replace the parts.

DramaAlpaca Sun 08-Nov-15 16:45:23

I've replaced various bits, such as cutlery baskets and the clips that hold the plate racks onto the lower basket, but not anything particularly fiddly.

Sometimes you can get a generic part that will be much more reasonably priced that one that is made by the manufacturer of your dishwasher. The parts website will tell you which machines they are compatible with.

If you want to buy online, espares are good, as is buyspares. I've bought spare parts from both without any problems.

As an example of cost, I got a compatible cutlery basket for my Bosch dishwasher from espares for £7. The Bosch version was £30!

HexBramble Sun 08-Nov-15 17:02:07

blush
Doesn't SHUT

Will now resume reading your answers <as I giggle like mad at my typing>

DramaAlpaca Sun 08-Nov-15 17:05:00

I didn't like to mention the typo Hex, but it did make me grin

HexBramble Sun 08-Nov-15 17:06:40

You're too nice Drama grin

Ruhrpott Sun 08-Nov-15 18:41:30

I got spare parts from spares for my fridge. You pitchout make and type in and can see what spares they have for that machine.

Ruhrpott Sun 08-Nov-15 18:41:53

Espares bot spares

elephantoverthehill Sun 08-Nov-15 19:08:15

Yes e-spares are very good confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now