Is it better to remove tiles quickly?

(26 Posts)
suzyrut Thu 05-Nov-15 10:24:45

Had hummed and haaad about tiles for my new kitchen for what felt like forever and was never really sure about what I wanted, I eventually made a decision and after nearly two months waiting for a tiler they finally went up on Tuesday and...I hate them sad.

I've given it a couple of days and I haven't grown to like them as dh was desperately hoping I would and I am resigned to the fact that I will definitely want to get them replaced. Unfortunately with Christmas coming and other bits still to pay for I won't be able to afford to buy more and pay the tiler again for a few months.

I wondered though if it would be an idea to take them off straight away? My logic was that they might not be set so tightly yet so if I just hacked them off it might be easier/less damage to freshly plastered walls than leaving it. Ironically I know now exactly what I want now.

Any advice or experience of removing tiles, well stuck down or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Etak15 Thu 05-Nov-15 10:30:30

I don't think it would make much difference, if you are putting tiles back on again doesn't matter if the plasters not perfect underneath.
That's not a professional opinion btw! But we have been doing a lot of this kind of stuff recently!

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Thu 05-Nov-15 10:54:49

Aaah...Huge sympathies! This happened to me.

New kitchen and I tried to be a bit daring with the tiles...and they looked all wrong confused hmm

Dh was v annoyed, but I just couldn't grow to love them no matter what anyone said. Had the whole lot taken off and retiled about 18mnths later. It was done v quickly, within a couple of days without any damage. Relief!

It was the same for us in that we wouldn't have been able to replace them straight away (and Dh kept saying 'just see if you change your mind'). So even though I didn't love them I preferred to live with them than bare walls for ages.

Have a chat with your tiler, but mine said it was all quite straightforward. (I think there can sometimes difficulties if a house/the walls are very old or uneven).

suzyrut Thu 05-Nov-15 11:25:14

Phew! Thank you for your replies that's really useful and a relief that I can relax a bit till after Christmas.

I will talk to my tiler and see what he says, not sure if he will be pleased at getting more work or think I am a lunatic grin

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Thu 05-Nov-15 11:51:23

I felt a bit of a berk but our tiler just smiled ruefully so I dont think we're the only ones Suzy wink.

Like you, I knew the minute they were up they were coming down. grin

We all make mistakes. I'm very wary of tiles now. The golden rule is keep them simple. It's easier to change the stuff around them Ie blinds, accessories, paint, than the tiles themselves. Lesson learned I suppose <the hard way as usual hmm>.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Thu 05-Nov-15 11:54:04

Btw dh never did get what the problem was and still harrumphs about it whenever decorating is mentioned.

Kitsmummy Thu 05-Nov-15 11:58:42

Can you post a pick Suzy? We can then back you up, say they look dreadful and make you feel better about getting new ones!

f1fan2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 12:25:22

If you know you are definitely not going to warm to them and will be replacing them. How about trying to paint them in the meantime? I had a less than lovely pink tiled fireplace and could not afford to have it replaced so painted it with white tile paint to try and minimise it's foulness

suzyrut Thu 05-Nov-15 16:29:56

dh's eh hen I've already had the "well I didn't like to say but I didn't like them when you chose them" comment, I may throw the offcuts at him.

I haven't taken a picture yet, couldn't bring myself too! but I will tonight kitty and you can agree how wrong they are.

f1fan I don't know about painting them as they are marble (yes it was an expensive mistake!)

Thanks all you really are making me feel a lot better smile I know it's a proper 1st world problem but I am really p*ssed off with myself.

f1fan2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 17:05:59

You can buy tiling undercoat that will seal the tiles and stop the new paint soaking in wink

suzyrut Thu 05-Nov-15 20:24:57

Here is a picture of the offending articles. I was aiming for a modern Scandinavian style but as my cleaner said this morning they are 'a bit country' sad

crumpet Thu 05-Nov-15 20:28:02

I think they look fab. Can't see how well they go with the rest of the room but they do look lovely

f1fan2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:41:12

Don't know why your cleaner thinks they are 'a bit country' they look very modern to me grin

Good luck with choosing your new set

suzyrut Fri 06-Nov-15 10:59:06

Thanks both, I wasn't expecting a positive response. I don't know if the photo is great so maybe they look better in them but the rest of the room is open plan with bi-folds (basically your standard kitchen diner). Maybe I will give them till the floor is laid next week before making a final decision then, my dh will be relieved grin

Kitsmummy Sun 08-Nov-15 20:32:21

Hmmm now I love marble, I have a marble bathroom but I don't like those tiles in your kitchen either! They're quite a dark grey and I think it looks a bit bleak/cold with your lovely modern units

Etak15 Sun 08-Nov-15 21:23:31

I think because you haven't got any wall units there and you haven't got tiles in the traditional way ie couple of rows as a splashback and behind the cooker the tiles just there look odd do you have them behind the sink too? I think if you've just got them as a cooker splashback then maybe not have tiles at all have different kind of splashback like Perspex or stainless steel? I think that would fit in better with the style of your kitchen?

SwedishEdith Sun 08-Nov-15 21:31:52

I quite like them.

TodmordensDog Sun 08-Nov-15 21:34:20

What have you decided you'd like instead?

I quite like them btw!

suzyrut Mon 09-Nov-15 14:49:09

I think I quite like these ones, they are a lot plainer so they would be a bit more about the shape/gloss than the pattern...

www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/catrangetiles/porcelain-tiles/rokkakkei-hexagon-tiles/white-gloss-hexagon-tiles/21309/

Worse I've now put a few bits of the floor down and I think that really jars with the tiles, it's Nordic white polyflor, I could cry, the flooring is being laid tomorrow sad

Kitsmummy Mon 09-Nov-15 16:50:17

Prefer the new ones (without the patchwork ones, right?)

suzyrut Mon 09-Nov-15 21:50:13

Thanks kitsmummy I think yes, just plain white, no pattern, no colour, completely safe!

wowfudge Mon 09-Nov-15 22:41:27

Fwiw I think the tiles need warming up with a different colour paint on the walls and that would make all the difference. It's a bit stark/cold at the moment. Even having more of a splashback of the tiles would help.

Etak15 Tue 10-Nov-15 10:08:11

Yes I agree with more tiles - the original ones even, (they are really nice) if you had a few rows of tiles around the rest of kitchen. I think whatever tiles you have will not look right if that's the only place you've got them.

Etak15 Tue 10-Nov-15 10:17:12

Like this - but maybe not as high

suzyrut Wed 11-Nov-15 11:18:30

That would be nice I think, then they might not look so stranded. The floor went down yesterday and it has warmed the whole thing up a bit but the lighting and the white is quite stark. The only problem is the tiles were about £100 a sqm and £150 a sq m to have fitted. Damn my expensive tastes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now