Worktop Templating

(8 Posts)
TiredMummy2015 Mon 05-Oct-15 11:41:32

This may be a dumb question but here goes. If you get a stone worktop, say Quartz what do you do during the week or so of templating?
Do you just have to live with a kitchen that has no worktop?

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 05-Oct-15 15:22:36

Some suppliers put loose temporary tops on ( a bit like putting a rug down instead of the fitted carpet ) it should be outlined in your paperwork somewhere .

Wendied Mon 05-Oct-15 15:29:45

I put my old work top back on. It was just balanced on my new units so a bit precarious but it did the job.

Spikeinhiscoat Mon 05-Oct-15 15:40:15

Didn't have a worktop for the week in between. Had a few appliances but no workable kitchen area, so moved a picnic table into the room in the meantime

LBOCS2 Mon 05-Oct-15 16:28:20

confused

My worktop was templated and cut the same day - is that not normal? They used our driveway...

IHavemyownLighthouseyouknow Mon 05-Oct-15 16:31:13

Ours just has a bit of plywood over it for the time being. Very precarious, but we could have spent some extra money on having a proper temporary one fixed in.

Apparently it will take around a week or two for the granite to arrive & be fitted. Hmm...

PigletJohn Mon 05-Oct-15 20:04:03

if you wanted, you could put a temp one down. Worktop is usually 600mm or so wide. Anybody with a saw and a drill could cut it to fit and screw it down to enough of the units not to wobble.

Real worktop is very heavy but WBP ply would do. Cost is trivial inside the total cost of a kitchen. You can use the left-over to build a rabbit hutch or shed.

this one is twice as wide as you need, but they usually have 2440x606 or thereabouts as well. Spruce ply is rough and looks horrible.
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Structural-Spruce-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110036

or this one has a hardwood veneer so you could stain and varnish it and it would look OK until you got round to a fancy one.
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110037

suzyrut Tue 06-Oct-15 11:03:47

We cut up some old ikea pax wardrobe shelves to the right size, they were the right depth so only had to cut them width ways. Admittedly it didn't cover the whole kitchen but on top of my two sets of pan drawers it was enough that I could prep a dinner and make a cup of tea. The most annoying thing was not being able to have a working sink as we were going over rather than undermounted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now