Damp in bedroom

(13 Posts)
Savagebeauty Thu 01-Oct-15 21:43:55

Dd has just gone to uni so I thought I'd give her bedroom a clean.
Her walls are normally covered in posters etc but I saw that the wallpaper above her bed is coming away and feels damp near the ceiling.
It's an outside wall and faces another house...gets no sun.
I wonder if the gutters need clearing or there are missing tiles ( new roof about 5 years ago)

lalalonglegs Thu 01-Oct-15 22:53:11

To be honest, if the wall was damp I would expect it to look damp, not just feel cold but have a look from the outsidet o see if there are any obvious problems or the wall looks wet. If nothing showed up, I'dt ry airingt he room properly and see if that helps.

Tarzanlovesgaby Thu 01-Oct-15 22:57:10

it's a good idea to check the gutter.
is there adequate heating in the room? is it ventilated every day?

Savagebeauty Thu 01-Oct-15 23:02:28

The radiator doesn't seem to be working well...maybe needs bleeding. Dd liked windows closed so maybe it needs ventilating. I don't think I've actually set foot in it for a year

PigletJohn Thu 01-Oct-15 23:51:27

If she kept the windows permanently closed, and breathed, then it is probably wet with condensation.

Wet washing draped around is another common cause.

Is it a flat roof?

Savagebeauty Fri 02-Oct-15 06:40:10

No wey washing at all.
It's only one area above her bed.
I'm getting guttering cleared next week..not a bad thing to do anyway before winter.

PigletJohn Fri 02-Oct-15 08:50:53

Is it a flat roof?

Savagebeauty Fri 02-Oct-15 11:22:59

No a pointy one grin

specialsubject Fri 02-Oct-15 12:12:37

might be worth teaching her some basics of not treating homes like this - before her landlord does by deducting damages from her deposit. Rooms need ventilation, only takes a few minutes a day.

but check the gutters too.

Kaekae Fri 02-Oct-15 12:17:13

Check the gutters...we took down some wall to celling shelving and we noticed that the paint on the wall was bubbling. We've had problems with our guttering lately - our neighbours had not cleared the leaves in their guttering and it had made our guttering sag due to the water log.

PigletJohn Fri 02-Oct-15 17:21:28

climb up into the loft and looks for signs of leaks from the tiles, or from tanks and pipes, or weeing wildlife.

Long-term damp ceilings tend to grow black mildew, so perhaps this damp is quite recent.

In the event that it is condensation, inspect the insulation in the loft. Well-insulated ceilings are quite warm. Condensation will clear quickly if you open the windows. Water vapour is lighter than air, and might be diffusing from a nearby bathroom or rising from below.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Fri 02-Oct-15 18:39:11

no it's a pointy one is probably my favourite answer on property/diy of all time.grin

Savagebeauty Fri 02-Oct-15 19:13:53

I love you Pigletjohn
This is all very new to me. Got divorced this year but determined to get to grips with things and pointy roofs smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now