Rangemaster 60cm cookers - sharp edges on doors?

(9 Posts)
GudrunBrangwen Sat 12-Sep-15 16:56:32

I'd almost ordered our new cooker and had pretty much decided on one of these so went to a local shop to look at one in person, as it were.

The build quality is lovely BUT the edges of the oven doors are shockingly sharp.
Imagining we have the grill open, and our toddler runs into the room and catches their eye on it - we would have a serious injury to deal with.

I wanted to ask if anyone has one of these models and if so, have you noticed that the corners are very sharp? I rang another store just now who stated that theirs are the same, though no one has ever pointed it out.

I've written to Rangemaster asking what they think about it and what they are going to do about it, because I really wanted this cooker and now I don't feel I can buy one - but if it turns out that they have already changed the design to be safer, and the sharp bits are only on older display models, then maybe I can go ahead.

<screams silently after 2 weeks of cooker deliberation>

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 12-Sep-15 20:25:51

You want assurance from rangemaster and your supplier that you will get the new design ! As there's bound to be old stock knocking about ! Write this stipulation on your order either by hand and ask the retailer to sign it or ask them to add it into your purchase order ! Hope it works out ok for you ! smile

GudrunBrangwen Sat 12-Sep-15 20:33:53

Thanks...trouble is I don't think there is a new design...but I really hope that they might be planning one.

It's so dangerous like it is. sad

I'm back to square one trying to decide on a cooker.

PolterGoose Sat 12-Sep-15 21:01:27

I so nearly bought a Rangemaster when we did the kitchen but wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped when I saw them in real life, so settled for a smaller Stoves Mini Range like this, I'm very pleased with it smile

GudrunBrangwen Sun 13-Sep-15 07:55:48

Oh Polter that's my other one I'm obsessing over! I love it - but everyone said get the Rangemaster instead, they are made better...well I don't know about that now.

The thing is I think I need a 60cm one really, because of the space we have, and am also worried about the gap you have to leave at the back apparently so it will stick out a bit? Not sure if I would keep bumping into it as our kitchen is really small.

Saying that I love the colours and the metal lid and so on.

<buries self in duvet to avoid making decision>

PolterGoose Sun 13-Sep-15 08:33:34

Mine is back against the wall, there's a ventilation grill thing at the back to facilitate this. You can see it in this picture I've found.

GudrunBrangwen Sun 13-Sep-15 08:36:53

Oh thank you very much for the useful picture, I can see how it works now! So the infill strip at the back - I seem to remember from the installation guide online that it makes the total depth around 66cm instead of the usual 60.

Do you find yours is proud of the units either side?

PolterGoose Sun 13-Sep-15 08:54:02

Mine isn't next to units, I designed the kitchen round having a freestanding cooker with nothing either side so I could clean all around it. But now I've measured it, it's 60cm (including the vent at the back) of actual cooker, it's the chunky knobs and handles that add the extra 6cm.

GudrunBrangwen Sun 13-Sep-15 09:10:29

Oh really? Wow, thanks so much - that is really helpful. I hadn't realised.

In that case it may be the answer. smile

Thank you for all your trouble, I really appreciate it. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now