planning permission to convert basement

(6 Posts)
krisskross Fri 11-Sep-15 14:31:26

Does anyone know about this please?

V long story but for many reasons as a family we're considering inviting my mum to move in....She's very independent and still quite young.

We have a small cellar (in our London terrace) and in nearby streets people are having them converted for living space.

Does anyone know the planning Considerations? The main issue for us all would be that she had her own entrance/ front door.....allowing her total independence but the security of being close to us.

Thanks for any thoughts/ experience

krisskross Fri 11-Sep-15 21:12:02

Bumping

steppemum Fri 11-Sep-15 21:16:58

I do know that there has been a lot in the press about converting basements and some London councils have stopped granting planning permission, so be careful.

ICantDecideOnAUsername Fri 11-Sep-15 21:22:18

If the basement is already being used as residential then there would be no change of use, however adding external doors etc would need pp and the council will be wary of you creating another dwelling. Best to speak to them first.

BlueJug Sat 12-Sep-15 00:07:27

Speak to Council. Lots of places have done it but there is beginning to be a bit of a backlash as some aseents are so arge as to threaten adjoining buildings so Councis are beig asked to re-think.

A good architect will be able to help you though and should know the planning considerations inside out.

krisskross Sat 12-Sep-15 09:32:52

Thanks everyone, I'll talk to the council.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now