House in catchment, but negatives. WWD?

(19 Posts)
MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 08:38:51

We have viewed a nice big house that is in the very small catchment area of the secondary school we are hoping our children can attend. HOWEVER, it has quite a few negatives, listed below. Would it be stupid to buy just for casement area and try to live with negatives?

- On a very busy road
- three from a car dealership/garage.
- alleyway runs behind at the end of the garden.
- train line runs past the back.
- requires new kitchen/bathroom/decor

Any views/experience is very gratefully received x

inmyshoos Thu 10-Sep-15 09:04:49

They are quite big compromises in my opinion.
Is it set back off the road by a front garden? Do you have pets/young children (if you do it would be a no for that reason for me)
The alleyway at the back- is the area popular for break ins? And/or teens hanging around?
Is it double glazed? Can you still hear trains/traffic and how annoying would you find it. Is it quiet where you are? Or are you used to noise.
The garage wouldn't bother me much I dont think.
New kitchen/bathroom/decor is almost a bonus in my eyes because you can increase value of house and choose stuff you like.
.Most importantly, what is your gut feeling about house? Is the school really that fab that it is worth the compromise?

mandy214 Thu 10-Sep-15 09:05:35

Depends what your priorities are and how often houses in the catchment come up. If catchment is the priority, and you don't go for this house, is another one likely to come up in time? If its a small catchment, are others likely to have similar drawbacks?

Alleyway would potentially bother me, and the busy road. None of the other 3 issues is a dealbreaker for me.

MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 09:56:36

Thanks all. The house has a front garden, so there is scope for a drive. It's the alleyway that bothers me to be honest as there is no scope for gates, like you often see these days. The school is outstanding and we have family there. The catchment is dominated by mansions/v.wealthy people but there a few roads that are more affordable and this is one of them. They do come up every now and then, but they go very quickly.

messystressy Thu 10-Sep-15 10:02:13

If you had one if those on your list, I would consider a compromise. All if them would be a veto from me. Alleyway behind house - lived in house with this once, never again. Teenagers forever drinking and smoking pot in it. Foxes using it as a thoroughfare and pooing all over my garden.

messystressy Thu 10-Sep-15 10:04:45

Hmmmm....changed mind in light of your most recent post.... Unless time is on your side for secondary enrolments. Do you otherwise like the house(albeit with so much work to do) or is it a pure purchase for schooling?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 10-Sep-15 10:09:22

I think they use road is the main problem.

If it's a nice area the alleyway is unlikely to be a drugs den. Yes it may make your house more vulnerable to break ins but you can get a decent alarm.

You can change the kitchen.

You do get used to train noise.

Is a 9-5 car dealer type place? Does it do repairs? Mainly is there likely to be noise?

A busy road is a pain. I live on a busy road and the traffic noise bugs me. To be honest if the traffic was at a constant speed it might not be so bad. but I'm at a bottle neck so cars braking, revving up is what's noticable.

MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 10:16:54

It's a very busy road, with a bus stop etc.

The house is very nice, large with high ceilings.

We do have time on our side but we are in London and house prices are raising at a really fast rate.

I think in my gut the alleyway is the deal breaker. I am worried about lurkers & burglars. I could probably live with the noise of the road and train line. We are very keen to get the kids into this school, as it would also meN not moving to far alway from my parents.

vickibee Thu 10-Sep-15 10:18:09

we live on a busy road and the traffic noise - you get used to it, it is more noticable in summer when the widows are open.
When I was a kid we lived close to a rail line and I never really noticed.
No house is ever perfect and you have to decise if you can live with these things.
Can you put up fencing as a barrier or is acess needed to the alley?

SellFridges Thu 10-Sep-15 10:18:20

It would depend if it was a city or somewhere else to be honest. I'm pretty sure that in a big city it'd be unusual to find a house that didn't have one of those issues. If it's a town or even village then that'd be an unlucky house to have all of those negatives!

MrsHathaway Thu 10-Sep-15 10:20:12

Years ago I was told by a wise person that every house has advantages and disadvantages, some of which are absolute and others subjective.

The house in the OP has the subjective disadvantage of decor/refurb requirements and the absolute disadvantages of the railway line and road. The house can be done up but it will always be badly located. The catchment advantage is subjective because catchments change and not all buyers have children of relevant ages.

If this is your forever house then other people's opinions don't matter. If you'd want/need to move in ten years' time then the absolute disadvantages matter.

You don't hear noisy roads or railways after a month or so, but they do restrict what pets you can have, the age at which you can allow your children out on their own, parking, etc. The dealership would definitely affect parking.

I would avoid, but honestly it depends what your other options are and how long you intend to live there.

MrsHathaway Thu 10-Sep-15 10:22:53

After your later posts (London, cheap part of catchment, garden and possible drive) I think it sounds like a much better option.

Security lights and cctv covering the back gate/fence?

MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 10:25:29

Thanks all - such good advice. It's so helpful to talk things through. X

RingDownRingUp Thu 10-Sep-15 11:08:41

Other than decor which can easily be fixed or lived with, those sound like very big negatives to me.

TremoloGreen Thu 10-Sep-15 11:20:22

On a very busy road
How far back? I presume your children are older than toddlers where road safety is an issue. This would bother me (I don't like urban noise) but not everyone, so it comes down to how much it bothers you.

alleyway runs behind at the end of the garden
How long is the garden? This one wouldn't bother me, unless the garden was absolutely tiny, in which case the alleyway would also be close to my house

train line runs past the back
How busy a train line? How close? Can you hear trains in the garden? In the house? Is there freight at night? I would only live near a train line if I couldn't hear trains inside. I would still have misgivings about work on the line at night.

requires new kitchen/bathroom/decor
Not an issue to get a house in the location you want.

three from a car dealership/garage
This one would really bother me and possibly be a deal-breaker. I have vowed to never have commerical neighbours again. Can you ask the neighbours what issues it causes? If it's an eyesore it will also affect resale, although your OP says that houses go very quickly around here due to the desirable catchment.

MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 11:57:22

The train isn't that busy but when one passes, it passes at a height and you can clearly see and hear it and it's passengers. I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to hear it inside.

mandy214 Thu 10-Sep-15 11:57:56

I think it comes down to how you feel about it OP. There was a thread the other day about a house with a train line at the end of the garden and there was a massive range of opinion. The same goes for the other issues on your list.

I agree that against those negatives you have these positives :

Catchment for your desired outstanding school
Big house (so am presuming enough space)
Within budget (might not be in the not-too-distant future)
Close to parents (and presume children's friends etc)
"Naice" area (just going off the comment about mansions smile!)

I think I'd be tempted...

poocatcherchampion Thu 10-Sep-15 14:35:44

I'd do it.

But we moved into a large fixer upper on a main road near a Vauxhall dealership.

No alley or trains tho.

MrsWhirling Thu 10-Sep-15 15:26:51

What's it like living near the dealership?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now