privacy for front door

(10 Posts)
movingonup2015 Wed 19-Aug-15 10:17:59

Hi All (excuse the mess in the photo I am currently renovating!)

I would like some suggestions for what I can do to increase the privacy on my front door.

The glass is textured so offers some privacy but I still don't like the fact that people can see in (neighbours have commented that they've seen me painting etc in the hall which I don't really like!) It's more concerning as I will be living there alone and come the winter time with lights on it will be even easier to see in.

I thought of the privacy film stuff but as the glass is textured I don't think it would stick down properly.

Thought of a curtain but I'm not sure if this would look naff and make the hall look cluttered when it's open? Also my OH will be stopping over now and again and he will be getting in late at night so thought perhaps the door would be difficult to open fully with a curtain shut across it.

It's the same door in the kitchen aswell so a curtain wouldn't really work in there either.

Any ideas please people??

AgathaF Wed 19-Aug-15 10:32:31

We had a similar issue with our porch door - I didn't want people to see mail building up when we are away that advertises the fact that the house is empty. I've just fitted 'Perfect Fit' blinds - venetian blinds that clip between the frame and the glass so move with the door. You can get them in pleated blinds too. They look really smart and were really easy to fit.

wowfudge Wed 19-Aug-15 10:46:33

Is it a upvc door? If so you can replace the glass with upvc panels instead. They can be reinforced too.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Wed 19-Aug-15 11:22:22

I know it sounds like the obvious, and it's an expense, but perhaps replace the door?

movingonup2015 Wed 19-Aug-15 11:41:36

I had thought about replacing the door but I would have to replace both the front and back doors and sadly my funds wont stretch that far....

nemno Wed 19-Aug-15 11:46:36

A portiere curtain rod enables the closed curtain to swing open with the door.

specialsubject Wed 19-Aug-15 11:52:02

definitely a curtain because otherwise you'll be freezing in the winter.

can you replace the bottom two panels with wood, or even panel over them? The top bit should let in light.

you can get doors on ebay...

movingonup2015 Wed 19-Aug-15 12:25:01

ooh never heard of one of those portiere curtain rods sounds interesting.. im off to google one of those and some perfect fit blinds....

will also have a look at panelling over as an option although I do enjoy the amount of light that comes in during the day

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Wed 19-Aug-15 12:54:42

Maybe replace the front door and put a curtain over the back one? Then next year you could replace the back one, spreading the expense out a bit.

snowgirl1 Wed 19-Aug-15 15:17:57

Get the glass panels changes to sandblasted glass - it still lets light through but is more obscured than textured glass. Look up a company that does double glazing replacement units (assuming it's currently double glazed).

[but how much time are you really going to spend in your hallway once you've finished renovating?]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now