smelly toilet

(4 Posts)
Koala2 Tue 11-Aug-15 22:04:20

Hi could anyone advise - the toilet in our ensuite is intermittently very smelly. It is almost sulphurous sometimes. We have stopped using it, it is very clean (!) But still smells. Any ideas what the problem could be and who I need to call to fix it.

PigletJohn Wed 12-Aug-15 10:48:11

This is a guess.

Look at the soil pipe. I expect it has been hidden away to stop you seeing it. I expect it has a Durgo or similar ventilation valve that is jammed, especially if the WC was connected clumsily to existing plumbing after the house was built. You need a plumber.

If you have a Saniflow, sell the house and move.

poocatcherchampion Wed 12-Aug-15 20:13:13

We had this problem in our en suite and had the plumber who fitted it to come back and investigate but he couldn't find the problem (no doubt because he was the cause in the first place!)

We let it be and the smell went away - occasionally it returns forva couple of days but I have accepted it as part of the weirdness of homes now.

Koala2 Wed 12-Aug-15 20:21:16

Thanks. We are hopefully going to replace the whole bathroom in the next couple of years, so living with it might be an option if it doesn't get any worse. There are multiple issues with the plumbing!!

Piglet John, luckily not a saniflow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now