Loft conversion and neighbours

(7 Posts)
Atalanta Sat 08-Aug-15 13:20:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bowsaw Sat 08-Aug-15 15:21:26

is there any work she needs doing that having a bit of extra scaffold in front of her house would help her and reduce costs? new fascias, a lick of paint etc?

Atalanta Sat 08-Aug-15 15:26:29

Anomite Sat 08-Aug-15 15:35:30

Nothing helpful to add I'm afraid.
Although one thing I would add having just had a loft conversion, it's not constantly noisy for the whole duration. Certainly it is when steals going in etc, but majority of the time I wouldn't have even know what was going on ahead.. Maybe go round with some flowers etc and ham up the positives like this.

What time of year are you thinking of having the work? We did ours in April in time for the summer. That would be less intrusive of your neighbours "summer in the garden"

Your being more than nice about this by the sounds of it, I wouldn't worry about it. She won't be able to stop you on the grounds of it being too noisy anyway so just go on with it. It's exciting for you!

Oh one other thing we did, we offered to pay for our neighbours windows to be cleaned once the work was completed.

Atalanta Sat 08-Aug-15 15:45:05

hotcrossbun83 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:38:04

It's not that bad, I lived in our small house through ours with a toddler and he napped through the works! Not much of it is noisy, lots is plastering etc

newstart15 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:11:28

She actually can't object to the work being done once you have planning permission and as long as the builder works standard hours she can't complain. Is this a detached or semi? Will you need party wall act?

I really am not sure if you can smooth the way as some people won't feel reassured until it's all over.We were very inclusive of our neighbours however they simply did not want change, ever! They objected to our build but then had some work done which needed access to our garden for several weeks and they didn't even see the irony of the situation.

Make sure builders don't block their access in any way and warn your builder of the sensitive neighbour (they will have heard about it many times before). I don't think you can avoid noise from building works but some builders do like the radio volume on loud so maybe that is something to consider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now