Indoor TV aerial?

(9 Posts)
TremoloGreen Fri 07-Aug-15 20:21:02

The cable in from our TV roof aerial has snapped, unfortunately the snap is kind of INSIDE the window frame where it is fed through from outside. If there was more cable sticking out, I coulld reconnect it with F connectors, but there is nothing there.

I don't want to mess too much trying to feed it through as all the cables coming in are very weathered and kind of painted on to the window frame, so I think wiggling them about will do more harm than good.

I don't want to get anyone out, as we're in a rental and hopefully only here for another 3 months. I'm pretty sure the landlord will just laugh at me if I ask him to fix it, as he was pretty happy to leave me and my family without hot water for a few weeks recently, I'm also worried he'll accuse me of breaking it somehow and try and keep my deposit, which I really need back.

Do you think it is worth getting one of these?

I don't really understand how they work, but this one seems to get good reviews. Our TV has built in freeview and I'm about 15 miles from the Sandy Heath transmitter, if that means anything to anyone!

wowfudge Fri 07-Aug-15 20:45:50

Oh good grief. The place was supplied with a working aerial so surely the LL should fix it? Could you have the cable jointed somewhere else outside higher up and properly put through the wall rather than the window frame?

Not sure where you are, but was talking to a colleague today. He recently moved into a new build which appears to have only gas and electricity serving it - the going rate for a complete digital receiving roof aerial installation is £45 (we paid about that a few miles down the road 5 yrs ago). I can't imagine it would cost much to have the cable fixed. Leave what is painted on to the window frame and fill up and holes.

TremoloGreen Fri 07-Aug-15 21:25:31

I don't really want to pay £45 though if we're only going to be here 3 more months.

He should fix it, but I just can't bring myself to talk to him again after only just getting the boiler bodged by one of his unqualified mates fixed after begging and pleading. I'm also scared that our house purchase will fall through (already had 3 go this way) and he will evict us in November because of all the problems we've reported - also had sewage streaming out of a manhole on the property and rusted/leaking plumbing in the last 3 months. Probably being irrational, but I am heavily pregnant and on the verge of a breakdown after 9 months of property selling/buying/renting hell.

Just wondered if anyone had used one of these or knew some reason why it would/wouldn't work.

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:02:56

We've used one to boost a rubbish signal before and it worked ok. Otherwise watch catch up on laptop?! I feel your pain with renting and keeping my fingers crossed your purchase goes through smile

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 08-Aug-15 10:09:57

I think it depends where you are. We live in a valley where there is crap tv reception (and no mobile signal....) and an indoor booster are doesn't work.

If you really don't want to spend £45 and it's only 3 months, can you live without live TV? We very rarely watch TV live - the news at 10pm 3 or 4 times a week is about it. Everything else tends to be on catchup. I just link my laptop to the TV and watch it on the TV screen. quality isn't great but it's ok for what we want

That said, it would be different if we were sports fans as I guess you need live tv yo watch big football games etc

TremoloGreen Sat 08-Aug-15 14:28:20

Live? Without TV??! shock

Yeah, I can. grin Just thought it was worth chucking £15 at if wise mumsnetters thought it had a chance of working. But not £45 because I'm incredibly tight and about to buy a massive old heap of a house that is going to have us all living off beans on toast while we fix it up wink

I just like being able to stick cbeebies 'bedtime hour' (or sanity hour as it's known in our house) on for DD after a long day of attempted parenting.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 08-Aug-15 14:34:11

what about iplayer or ITV Player as an alternative, can you link PC to TV with a cable?

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 08-Aug-15 17:33:48

You could put CBeebies on via iPlayer and your laptop/pc if you have a connector.

Koala2 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:09:26

We used one for years and it worked well. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now