Do I need to sand new plaster before most coat?

(10 Posts)
wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 00:17:27

The area where the wall meets the ceiling in our bathroom had to be re-plastered to reinstate the original curve - it's a bit like coving with actually having coving attached.

The plaster has dried and now needs mist coating then painting. Do I need to sand it at all? It looks pretty darn smooth and will make a hell of a mess if I do sand it.

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 00:18:05

Thread title should read 'mist' coat, not most!

FriedSprout Mon 03-Aug-15 00:27:19

Once you do the mist coat, then any rough areas will show up and you can then rub them very lightly before the first proper coat. At least that's what I did and it looks great grin

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 07:26:23

Thanks Sprout - hopefully they will be obvious and there won't be many of them!

PigletJohn Mon 03-Aug-15 10:42:29

Consider a broad metal scraper rather than sandpaper. There is a risk you will sand the smooth polished skin off and make it worse.

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 11:51:33

Thank you - have mist coated this morning and there are no raised or rough areas as far as I can tell. When can I top coat?

PigletJohn Mon 03-Aug-15 13:19:26

The tin will say how long between coats.

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 13:23:42

Okay thank you - just thought there might be special rules for mist coats.

Marmitelover55 Mon 03-Aug-15 16:26:57

We must coated ourselves and decorator painted over the next day.

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 19:37:26

I've done it now: mist coat early this morning and two coats of matt trade emulsion. Just finished. In between I have cleaned the grout haze of all the tiles, rubbed down and given another coat to the door architrave, primed, sanded and given a second coat to the windowsills. Flooring guy came round and I've ordered polyflor LVT wood look flooring. I'm off to clean the new bath and have a wallow in it. Think I've earned it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now