Scaffolding! Come and talk to me please...

(7 Posts)
doubleeggandchips Mon 27-Jul-15 14:01:52

So, plan is to extend our detached bungalow + tiny loft conversion into a 1.5 storey house. Planning department are happy with feasibility drawings and the next step is to have a proper chat with the neighbours prior to full application (we've mentioned our plans already but not in detail). I am dreading this bit tbh.

One set of neighbours would have to have (I think) scaffolding poles on their ground, as our house is built directly on the shared boundary line (as is the rest of the street from us onwards). I would like to be able to tell our neighbours 'there will be x number of poles, which will project y metres from the wall of our house' so they know what they're getting into. But as I don't have detailed building plans yet, I'm not ready to start getting quotes from scaffolders (anyway, I was hoping to contract one building firm to manage everything construction related, and we'd deal with plumbers/electricians etc).

Anyone know how far apart poles have to be, and how far away from the wall they go to create a working platform at roof height?? These neighbours were quite accepting of the need to extend, but unless we can agree on scaffolding I don't think the build can go ahead - but I'd be delighted if someone can tell me I'm wrong! The other three sides of the house are all fairly easy to access for scaffolding. I've googled but can't find an answer. Thanks!

PigletJohn Mon 27-Jul-15 22:47:43

you will need to ask the scaffolder who will actually be doing the job. Anybody else's guess may be quite wrong.

doubleeggandchips Tue 28-Jul-15 10:26:45

Thanks pigletjohn - looks like this bit will have to wait then. I'd assumed there was a standard spacing depending on the height. Every day's a school day! flowers

PigletJohn Tue 28-Jul-15 10:33:26

they can cantilever out, or bridge over obstructions, and often erect it quite different from what you expected. If you have any awkward bits, point them out to the boss scaffolder who may have a solution.

If it was a big job they might send someone to inspect and design beforehand (at extra cost) but they find domestic jobs easy.

ElleDeeLondon Wed 29-Jul-15 14:03:23

A note of caution on scaffolders...they are often subcontracted by roofers, builders, or whatever. We found out the hard way when they trampled all over our neighbour's garden when we were having our roof done, we'd just bought the place and were horrified to have a new neighbour around shouting at us! Friends in construction have told us since scaffolders notorious for this, as they're not exactly in the market for repeat business from you!!! So ask whoever is doing your extension which scaffolders they're using and whether they will have somebody at your house supervising when the scaffolding goes up and, if you can, make sure one of you there too to ease any tensions with neighbours. We made it up with our neighbour but wasn't a nice start to life here, aside from which they broke our garden fence too!

doubleeggandchips Thu 30-Jul-15 13:12:51

Thanks again, I will definitely add all this to my extension notes, not annoying the neighbours is going to be difficult enough as it is.

ScaffoldTowerHire Fri 26-Aug-16 11:17:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now