John Lewis fitted bedrooms

(8 Posts)
Whereisyourblankie Sun 26-Jul-15 17:42:09

We need to get our bedroom fitted to maximise space. Had guy from John Lewis around in the week, is great and exactly what we need. Quote was £7,400 for an average sized double room. I'm not sure what I expected but this seemed a lot.

I haven't had any other quotes as yet, but was wondering if anyone had had experience with John Lewis fitted furniture and also, do you think there is any room to haggle with them? Or actually, any recommendations on fitted bedrooms would be great. We are looking at a wood veneer finish rather than vinyl. House/bedroom is also old and wonky...

Thanks so much in advance!

caroldecker Sun 26-Jul-15 18:40:31

Waht the hell do you get for £7.4k?

Whereisyourblankie Sun 26-Jul-15 19:01:39

You'd think a lot. But... One wall filled with wardrobes and shelving. A chest of drawers, mirror and 2 bedside cabinets. I get that that the wardrobes and shelves have to be bespoke, but, jeez!

caroldecker Sun 26-Jul-15 19:28:24

sounds expensive even for them. JL price guide attached.
If you need bespoke, get a local carpenter to build it.
How much space do you save getting this rather than a couple of wardrobes?

Whereisyourblankie Sun 26-Jul-15 19:48:09

Caroldecker, thanks for locating that price guide! To me we fall well into the medium sized room and we aren't even going for the headboard. I'm going to highlight and send to JL to query, for starters.

The room is really old with angled ceilings and exposed beams (sounds glamorous, it really ain't) so freestanding furniture has to be small to fit and not up to the job. Expecting dc2 early next year so freeing up all my crap from spare room to create nursery.

Thanks so much about advice re local carpenter too. I'm buggered if I'm going to pay more than what my car is worth for a bedroom...

zoemaguire Sun 26-Jul-15 20:27:17

Crikey! A local carpenter/joiner is 100% the way to go. For (less than) half the price you'd get triple the quality!!

measles64 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:30:48

I have been looking at Homebase, might be worth a comparison. www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/furniture/fitted-bedrooms

Whereisyourblankie Mon 27-Jul-15 12:31:29

Thanks so much for all suggestions and advice - will look at getting quotes from each. Really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now