Typical decorating costs outer London

(11 Posts)
stonecircle Fri 17-Jul-15 20:58:21

Can anyone give me an idea of what is reasonable to pay a decorator in outer London? Most of our house needs decorating but the quote we've had from a recommended decorator seems exorbitant - £475 each for living room and dining room (just painting walls and ceiling - skirting boards and door are stripped and don't need anything doing to them). £600 per bedroom; £820 for landing, stairs and hall. It's just an ordinary house - no massive rooms. There's the odd bit of making good but basically it's just painting.

Plus £630 to plaster the ceilings in dining room and living room.

Am I being naive or is that what it costs? I've done quite a bit of decorating myself in the past but don't have the time or energy at the moment.

MrsTaraPlumbing Sat 18-Jul-15 12:36:39

You don't say but are you supplying the paint... I assume this is just for labour and s/he supplies his own tools

Of course we don't know the size of the room or the hight of the ceilings.

Are the rooms empty - empty house OR does she need to move furniture and protect it and carpets with dust sheets.

These do sound reasonable prices.

Artistic Mon 20-Jul-15 10:14:20

We did a 4 bed house (over 3 floors) and 2 receptions for 1800. We supplied paint & didn't need ceilings, doors, windows to be done. There wasn't much to repair either. The house was empty & the carpets we're going to be replaced. 4 days was all
It took. If you throw in all your additional jobs I suppose it looks like your quote is ok.

Daisy004 Fri 21-Aug-15 12:21:25

That sounds fairly similar to a quote we had recently for decorating a house in the outer London area. We have asked for skirting and woodwork to be included so that may bump the price up a little. Bedrooms around £500, lounge around £600 and £1200 each for kitchen/diner/sitting room and hall, stairs and landing.
It is more than we had expected to pay so would be good to hear other experiences.

StressheadMcGee Fri 21-Aug-15 14:10:43

We're in outer London too stonecircle, and have just had a similar quote for a job of about the same size. The decorators are friendly with the in laws, so I don't think they'd take the mick with the price either.

Toofat2BtheFly Fri 21-Aug-15 14:21:25

We need to move to London !

Dh would charge £120 a day labour as standard for general decorating , filling , painting walls , woodwork and ceilings maybe with a papered feature wall etc .

All materials would be at trade cost on top of that .

We are south of birmingham and considered ourselves doing quite well !

mandy214 Fri 21-Aug-15 15:05:12

We are in the NW quote sounds reasonable too overall _ quotes for bedrooms here were slightly less (about £500 per room) but hall stairs and landing was about £1100 from memory so about the same in total.

Painting2016 Mon 16-May-16 12:05:11

I run my own Painting & Decorating company and I still find it hard to find good Decorators on day rate. I don't know if the trades are just getting greedy these days or maybe some people just want to cash in.
I am always busy and I still keep my rates down and pride myself knowing that I take on even the smallest jobs that know body else wants and I even work out an instalment plan system for the bigger jobs.

kirinm Mon 16-May-16 23:27:52

I'm not sure it's trades getting greedy rather tradesmen trying to survive in and around London.

Painting2016 Tue 17-May-16 06:31:17

Hi kirinm Think it may be a bit of both everyone has different over heads etc but at end of day I think that it's better to offer a service that suits everyone and not just a few people.

bakingaddict Tue 17-May-16 06:59:26

I've got a 4 bed house with a converted loft so effectively 3 floors. We paid £800 the other year for hall stairs landing and all doors to be painted and he supplied the paint. This was London as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now