Redesign my lounge for me

(9 Posts)
Diydolly Sun 05-Jul-15 12:52:09

Please help me rework the layout of my lounge. No rules, anything goes but I have to keep everything in the room. In the centre by the fireplace is a large stack of random length oak planks waiting to be fitted in the hallway. These can be restacked any how/way. I was considering stacking them in a cube shape, covering in a cloth for a makeshift coffee table. Or making them into a temporary 'window seat'. Anyway, anything goes. Got any clever ideas? Winner gets a virtual wine or cake from me. I'm experimenting as we speak.

Diydolly Sun 05-Jul-15 12:54:15

Pic coming when I can get my phone to cooperate.

Diydolly Sun 05-Jul-15 12:56:17

Here

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 05-Jul-15 15:14:43

Is there room to shift the pile of wood to the back wall behind where the two seater sofa is at the moment and not block the doorway and access into the room?

If so that's what I'd do, arranging the two sofas at right angles with a side table between them and a side table one end and coffee table the other or infront of them. The seater could fit where it looked best.
That would all depend if the plan's roughly to scale or not

mandy214 Sun 05-Jul-15 17:06:44

Why do you have to have the wood in the lounge? can't they do under a bed upstairs / under the stairs, in a wardrobe? Anywhere but in the middle of your lounge?!!

I also think just from your drawing that the table and the seater in the bay window looks a bit odd. I'd move those items of furniture unless you need additional seating? I'd put the 2 seater sofa across the bay window, would make it look much bigger.

caroldecker Sun 05-Jul-15 18:07:48

Where's the TV?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 05-Jul-15 18:29:10

OP said <anything goes but I have to keep everything in the room>
so I commented on that basis and also the fact that if there was a TV she'd have put it on the sketch, no?

It's hard to comment really without knowing your decor, preferred styles and dimensions, but I did just have an idea when I re-read anything goes.
Again if space allows how about making a screen to hide the pile of wood?
Anything from fabric like they used to have in hospitals, padded fabric, chipboard with decoupage, hinged louvres. Lots of possibilities there if you have the space.

ebay link

I'd try and hide it rather than disguise it as that'll actually draw attention to it.

If my previous didn't work then I'd put the wood in the bay window and the three seater in front of it, if that works for sizes. You could maybe pretend the wood was a console table behind the sofa and use that for a lamp and decorative items (use an extension cable if necessary) or do the same on the long wall opposite the fireplace.
You could then either have the two seater on the wall with the door or put two sofas opposite each other with the coffee table in the middle.

What would work best for clearance around the door access and the proportions of the room?

How long is the wood likely to stay in that location?

lalalonglegs Sun 05-Jul-15 18:33:53

Move the wood into the bay window and park the two seater sofa in front of it. Keep big table where it is. coffee table in the centre of the room. Armchair in front of bookshelves at angle as you come through door, preferably with floor standing lamp.

Why do you have to keep the wood there though? confused

Diydolly Sun 05-Jul-15 20:24:44

Thanks everyone. winecake for all. I have to keep the wood in the room because we don't have anywhere else to put it. Also I was hoping it would 'acclimatise' as it's being laid in the hall just outside the lounge. We did have it stacked behind the 2 seater but it got cooked by the radiator there & now it's bloody warped (that'll be another thread). In the end I swapped both settees over, neatly stacked the wood in the window bay & put the coffee table in the centre. The room looks SO much bigger. We don't watch tv but there is a small one in the bookshelves near the window. Can't wait to get rid of that wood pile but I'm not sure it's even layable any more. It's engineered 4mm oak. Never believe them when they say engineered wood is stable. Got the same in my kitchen & that popped up a treat.

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now