Would you move to rented in my circumstances?

(4 Posts)
meadowquark Mon 22-Jun-15 13:22:00

Hello, I really don't know what to do.
Sold my house and bought another one 3 months ago, driven by the need of extra bedroom for my aupair and a very rare occassion to buy within a good secondary catchment without increasing my mortgage (probate sale - was a bargain). My DC aged 7 and 4 years old continue to commute to the school in our old area 2 miles away. It does not sound like too far away, but while it is only 10 mins by car, it takes 30mins (on paper) to get to the school as the bus stop is in some distance and the bus goes in circles, but the bus is proving to be unreliable (every 20 mins) so my aupair ends up walking (almost running) to school. It is manageable now in summer, but I dread to think what will be in cold season. They cannot take bikes/scooters as there is no shed in the school and my aupair goes to English classes straight after.

I really don't want to change the school as it is one of the best in the area. I considered to get a car for aupair, but my aupair is too stressed out to drive in the UK (otherwise a very good aupair) and the cost of car, petroil, driving lessons for aupair, insurance and bus travelcard (I feel obliged to cover some) proves to be too simply much with the added stress for me "what if an accident happens?"

I don't like the area (nice but too suburb for me) but vowed to stay at least for 4 years until DC1 is in secondary school. Then move back. But I just thought perhaps there is another option?

I could let out my current house and rent one just next to the primary school. The cost of rent is more or less the same. We all save on commute. We move back just before Y6. What could go wrong? Or is it too much of faff?

(Otherwise I am very tempted to sell altogether and move back to my old area remaining with no good/clear secondary school option which I know would not be wise ... ).

Anyone?

specialsubject Mon 22-Jun-15 15:36:06

why is a bus every 20 mins a problem? Or does it just not turn up? Could they walk further and pick up the bus later in its route?

incoming rent and outgoing rent the same means you don't have enough money. You need to allow for all the costs, fees, maintenances, insurances and so on.

taxi to school in winter would be much cheaper. 2 miles is a bit far for the four year old but this problem will go away.

lalalonglegs Mon 22-Jun-15 15:48:46

I'd get another au pair (or one that can drive) or some collapsible scooters.

Sunnyshores Mon 22-Jun-15 16:23:24

Anyone else from the school living in your area? Ask the school receptionist to check and pass your details for them to lift share (or you pay them money in this case).

Renting out your house isnt an option if the rents are the same. If your house doesnt let, or is empty for a few months, or tenants dont pay, or damage occurs etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now