New bathroom recommendations please

(9 Posts)
TakeMeToTheMilk Fri 19-Jun-15 18:01:27

I'm planning on ripping out my old bathroom entirely and starting again but don't know where to start looking. The room is tiny. The length of a bath and probably smaller width. I want a bath, electric shower over bath, sink and toilet and am happy to shop around to get the best deals. I can't pay out too much ... £2000 max for all, including fitting, tiling, floor etc is the aim. But I don't want to get the cheapest bath around if it won't last long. So what do I need to look for to get quality as well as a good price?
Any links for ideas would be amazing!

HayFeverHell Fri 19-Jun-15 18:08:36

We used these guys when we redid our bathrooms. We went for good quality ideal standard taps and don't regret it. They work perfectly, never drip, and we don't even think about them. I recommend choosing something plain. Something that doesn't make a statement. That way it won't look dated later.

It's easier to save money on the porcelain ware because without moving parts it's not critical to buy best quality. The quality is pretty much all the same. You pay for style, which I try to avoid in bathroom suites. I wanted something plain and unremarkable. I am not someone who wants her toilet to make a bold statement, lol. We then got very simple white tiles which you can find anywhere cheaply. Statement tiles look old in a hurry anyway, and then you are stuck with them.

With a simple white bathroom with good quality fixtures you can then paint the walls any colour you choose, add coordinating towels and perhaps a picture and voila! Cheap to change if you get bored with it, inoffensive to anyone you might sell to in the future.

www.bathrooms365.com

HayFeverSucks Sat 20-Jun-15 07:17:56

Thank you.
Also, is it easy to change the position of bath, toilet and shower? If waste pipe is in top left corner is it possible to move toilet to bottom right corner and have bath across the top l-r?

HayFeverHell Sat 20-Jun-15 08:33:02

I think if you are moving a short distance, say around the same bathroom, it's no big deal. We did that: shower is now where toilet was. Toilet is now where bath was. Bath is now where basin was, etc.

I understand that moving the whole bathroom to the other side of the house is expensive though.

Tizwozliz Sat 20-Jun-15 10:49:12

I think that budget looks very tight if you're planning on getting trades in to move plumbing/fit/tile/install electric shower and would only allow the cheapest fittings.

We've spent about that and we could have got cheaper fittings to save money, but we DIY-ed it so saved a lot that way.

Our number one bargain was a sink unit with drawers from Ikea which we got from bargain corner for £40. The sink was then £70.

Haggisfish Sat 20-Jun-15 10:51:54

Ooooh how easy was it to DIY? We have two basic bathrooms and I can't help feeling if can't be that hard....can it?! We wouldn't need to move things, just retile/skim walls and new suite installed.

Tizwozliz Sat 20-Jun-15 11:02:45

Well, it's not something I'd attempt again in a hurry and we're not quite finished yet. The kitchen was far more straightforward, despite being about 6 times the size. Our bathroom is 1.7 x 2.4m

We didn't move anything but we did reroute all the plumbing so it was not on show.

Some in progress pics before grouting which we finished at about midnight last night...

www.flickr.com/photos/ebygomm/sets/72157654608583461

Lelivre Sat 20-Jun-15 11:36:07

I rather hesitantly bought from joyou.co.uk and it's not all in but I'm impressed with quality for the price. They have an unbelievable sale right now. Everything is being cleared for new ranges. Separately I've got a cleargreen bath which is reinforced and fine for showering. This was just over 200 delivered as I went to a plumber merchant and pleaded poverty. Same for a 1800x600 white towel radiator with valves and dual fuel kit just over £100. Tiles from original style factory shop, who knew they had latte white glazed tiles for £12.99 m2!! I'm putting it with a elongated rectangular mosaic style tile for contrast at only £32m2 and bamboo flooring as I hate vinyl. Probably just about do it for £2000

Lelivre Sat 20-Jun-15 11:36:39

Large not latte...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now