Please please talk me out of high gloss handless kitchen!

(41 Posts)
NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 20:59:15

Hi, a couple of days ago I posted here asking for advise re kitchen. Thanks to MN wisdom I have a few options so it's down to making a choice now.

So my problem is that I LOVE handless kitchens! I want one badly! or that's my eyes who love only handless. However, there were advices here not to go for it and poor remains of my brain say the same - when loaded with things handless drawers will be a nightmare, not even talking about fridge with two 4pt bottles of milk in its door.... to add to this my elderly DM with all age related issues lives most of the time at my place so handless wouldn't work for her either...

Please give me some more examples how bad those gorgeous beauties are...

I also realise that I like a lot high gloss finishes - what is your experience in terms of practicality and cleaning? do they show every fingerprint? I hate when it's untidy but working full time and with young child and don't want that joy of whipping after every use

MrsBennetsEldest Thu 11-Jun-15 21:02:39

Have you considered electric motorised drawers/ cupboards. The drawers open with a touch of a knee/ bum and the cupboards I do with my forehead when my hands are full. smile

MrsBennetsEldest Thu 11-Jun-15 21:04:07

Oh and yes they do show every fingerprint but I just go over mine with the steamer ( when I can be botheredgrin)

Mintyy Thu 11-Jun-15 21:09:33

I couldn't be happier with my white high gloss handle-less kitchen. Have had it 4 years and haven't regretted it for a minute. Sure it will be dated in 10 years time, but so will everything else new in the house. I don't find it shows the dirt particularly, certainly much easier to keep looking respectable than the black granite worktop we have to deal with in a holiday home we go to fairly regularly.

FructoseTart Thu 11-Jun-15 21:10:11

My neighbour has high gloss white handless kitchen.

I love it! It looks amazing! I want one

TakeMeUpNorthMountain Thu 11-Jun-15 21:12:45

I have a handle-less kitchen and love, love, love it. So smooth, so minimal!! Didn't go for high gloss though, think it is a very dated look. Matt finish all the way!

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:13:05

MrsBennets, what is electric motorised drawers? are you serious? link please!!!!

I still leave in dinosaurs age - have just seen slide and hide oven (Neff) and had my jaw dropped! I never knew things like this exist! (20 years of living in rented flats...)

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:13:37

sorry, I meant live

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 11-Jun-15 21:14:00

grin I was trying to figure out what a handless kitchen was - one where you don't have to use your hands? Completely automated? grin

I wish!

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:17:29

Ok I haven't had a handle less gloss kitchen but I've had three gloss kitchens.

I don't know what complaints you had on here about them but I absolutely love them. Two I installed and one was put into a new build at my request grin

Ime they don't require any extra cleaning or anything than any other sort of kitchen. Sadly I no longer have a gloss kitchen because we moved again recently but in my experience the only thing that makes a kitchen look a little dirty is when the damn sun comes bursting through the window and shows every piece of dust and finger print!

For your gloss kitchen buy a microfibre cloth and wipes. It takes a few minutes to clean.

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:18:32

So to all happy owners of handless with integrated fridges - how does it work for you? is this v difficult to open?

TakeMeUpNorthMountain - gloss is dated? out of fashion? blush yes, I'm a dino... I really am

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:18:39

And just keep your microfibre cloth handy and use it to open. You will soon get used to it.

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:21:30

HeartsTrumpDiamonds, it's like this

www.sncollection.co.uk/kitchens/remo-alabaster.html

TheVeryHungryPreggo Thu 11-Jun-15 21:22:09

I lost so many fingernails to my handle less fridge door... It had a shallow groove underneath the door for your fingertips but the magnetic seal on the fridge often fought back and my fingernails were collateral damage.

Looked nice, though.

BeerBird Thu 11-Jun-15 21:28:40

Just ordered a high gloss white kitchen!

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 11-Jun-15 21:33:17

I have one and love it!
2 drawbacks:
- easy to lose nails if you don't grip the ridges at the top properly when opening
- ridges get crumbs in them out of nowhere

But it looks great and I'd definitely get another one smile

ImperialBlether Thu 11-Jun-15 21:34:26

Blimey, BeerBird, just on this basis of this thread?

OP, have you seen the sink in that photo you posted just now? How are you meant to wash up with a cupboard hanging in your face!

The slide and hide oven (never heard of it before) is just such common sense, isn't? You can imagine someone on work experience suggesting it and everyone pretending they were already considering it.

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:40:36

ImperialBlether, link is just to show design of doors, surely I'm doing my own layout

Slide and hide oven: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJNDaTVEdM

I've just checked the price sad

ImperialBlether Thu 11-Jun-15 21:51:11

Yes, I know grin, just it was a lovely kitchen and they should have shown how it would work around the sink.

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 22:01:00

ah, so you like it to!!!!!

so... i'm going to spend the rest of my life cleaning it with my poor broken fingernails but enjoying the view grin

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 22:01:40

too!!!

pashmina696 Thu 11-Jun-15 22:12:59

I have a handless kitchen, its silk not gloss, i wouldn't have handles again tbh, however i do have a handle on the fridge door - it is a full sized fridge and this was recommended by the kitchen company - it doesn't look odd as it is a huge handle.

dynevoran Fri 12-Jun-15 06:09:53

I have handleless. Love it. It's cheap so just have push openers on everything. Works well and the toddler can't figure it out. Win-win. It's Matt but I do like gloss as well. Go on - get it!

fasternet Fri 12-Jun-15 07:30:42

Does anyone have spare hands sitting about in their kitchen?

I have a handle-less kitchen and it has worked well for over 5 years. I was a bit sceptical at first but actually marks wipe off easily (and I am v v lazy). We have a cheapo version and do not even have integrated white goods (quelle horreur) so we do have proper doors on them. I find I use the back of my hand to open the doors with a sharp rapping motion. This avoids finger marks and seeing as 95% of cupboard opening is done by me it keeps it quite clean. It does mean it took DS a little while to get the hang and visitors cannot open them at all grin.

Walnutpie Fri 12-Jun-15 10:43:39

I wonder what that's doing, long term, to the back of your hand. It isn't a place where the skin is very thick, and the veins are very close to the surface there.

If I got a very sleek kitchen I'd feel I'd have to get table, chairs, plates etc in the same style, and then my living room might look a bit out of synch. I'd end up ercol -ing the whole house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now