Best material for a large patio area?

(4 Posts)
CurrerBell Thu 11-Jun-15 14:43:33

We have to make some urgent decisions as the diggers came in today... any help would be much appreciated!

We have a very modern house which will be white rendered with red cedar cladding. We have anthracite grey windows/bifolds. We thought blue-black limestone would go well, but now I'm wondering if perhaps it could be a bit too dark in a large area (we have to do all down the back of our house and a side courtyard)? Also, I've read that you have to seal and maintain limestone? We want something that won't show stains, or need anything more than a power wash once or twice a year... Would slate or granite be better alternatives?

Eustace Thu 11-Jun-15 16:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucjam Thu 11-Jun-15 16:37:50

If you get a lot of sun a dark colour could potentially get really hot. A friend really regretted dark as they couldn't walk on it barefoot.

CurrerBell Thu 11-Jun-15 17:12:43

Oh thank you - the back is south facing and in full sun for much of the day - best to go for something lighter then!

I will look at sandstone, thanks.

I'm not against going for concrete pavers if they are good quality. The ones we liked were more expensive than limestone, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now