Rough idea of the cost of installing a stair lift?

(11 Posts)
IrianofWay Wed 10-Jun-15 12:36:37

My parents are in the process of selling up and have seen a house they quite like - but as it isn't a bungalow they may need a stair lift. All the suppliers offer a free quote but all they want is a rough guide to the possible cost atm - are we talking £1000 or £10,000 ?

Anyone have any idea ?

Thanks

nilbyname Wed 10-Jun-15 12:38:31

My dad had one fitted and it was £2k. When he passed away we sold it back to the company for £800, and then came and dismantled it. Shame, as my kids loved it!

formerlyofLadysmith Wed 10-Jun-15 12:38:59

The figure £5k is stuck in my mind for my grandparents stair lift. Did have an odd corner though.

IrianofWay Wed 10-Jun-15 12:42:39

Thanks. That is very helpful. They will have to factor in the cost when they buy.

They are massively down-sizing from a huge garden and large house (that they adore and have been in for 40 years), but most of the bungalows that would the sensible choice for elderly people don't exactly fire their enthusiasm.

AliceInSandwichLand Wed 10-Jun-15 18:09:10

My mum has recently bought one. 4k but has a double bend in it (u shaped staircase).

MissMuffetisin Wed 10-Jun-15 18:14:04

Bit of a " how long is a price of string " question. The price will very widely depending if it is straight or curved, how many curves ( to go round a bend in the stairs ) and if you need a hinge in the track across a doorway at the top or bottom. It's about 4 years since I worked as a community OT but when I did the one I got quotes for varied between about £100 for a short straight track and £12, 000 for a complicated staircase with a double bend and hinged track.

MissMuffetisin Wed 10-Jun-15 18:15:04

Should be £1000 not £100 !

IrianofWay Fri 12-Jun-15 10:18:53

Thank you.

They have 'found' a place they like. It has a straight staircase so should be relatively simple.

They were originally looking for a bungalow but for the size of the accommodation they seem to be about 50k more than a house and most of them are modern so rooms are quite small.

Pradaqueen Fri 12-Jun-15 19:34:12

I recently negotiated on behalf of my parents for £2k for a straight stairlift from Acorn (I think) there is a buy back clause also as described by another poster. Pm me if you need further Info and I'll dig out the company for you. Salesman was irritating but all done in 7 days start to finish.

IrianofWay Fri 12-Jun-15 21:06:40

They've got a way to go yet but many thanks pradaqueen x

BlueBee Sat 13-Jun-15 16:54:44

My aunt hires one, it was about £800 to install and she pays £60 a month rental on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now