Why can't I get any decorators to return my call?

(11 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Thu 04-Jun-15 20:58:52

I know I've picked a busy time of year but nonetheless: I've telephoned 8 local painters decorators in the last week, on the mobiles given in their listings.

All go to voicemail, all have had messages explaining where I live, what I'm hoping to get a cost from them to carry out, clearly stated number to return my call.

Are they so spoilt for choice with jobs that they don't want to do quotes?

Lucy61 Thu 04-Jun-15 21:18:29

I get this when the job is too small to interest a trades person.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 04-Jun-15 22:14:48

I did think that as well, I'm only wanting one room repaired and decorated. I'll keep trying...

museumum Thu 04-Jun-15 22:16:04

Try being more vague - say you're looking for a quote for a job. See if that gets more interest.?

MrsBertMacklin Thu 04-Jun-15 22:20:19

But then aren't they just going to waste their time and mine, when they turn up and realise what it's for?

lovingmatleave Thu 04-Jun-15 22:32:44

I used Ratedpeople.com. you put details of your job in and estimate the value of it and when you are looking for it to be done by, so tradespeople know exactly the size of the job you are looking for. Tradespeople pay a fee to the site and pay for every lead so basically if someone is free to do the job they will contact you. You can see feedback for that tradesperson on the site.

AFter making a few calls to local people and having the same experience of you after using that site I got a painter within a day and agreed a price and start date for 2 weeks later. Mybuilder.com is similar. My job was quite big though.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 04-Jun-15 22:35:13

Loving, that's really helpful, I'll look in the morning. Thank you.

chicaguapa Fri 05-Jun-15 14:08:53

I use www.mybuilder.com a lot. You post the job and the tradesmen will contact you. I've had loads of interest for jobs I've posted on there and it saves me doing the legwork.

shovetheholly Fri 05-Jun-15 14:34:11

I'm afraid my experience with My Builder has been that the only people who want the work are not very good - which is why they are not booked up four months in advance.

I stopped using it after I had a visit from two total cowboys who quoted to 'replace' a downpipe, and actually only replaced half. While they were here, they tried to convince me that the rest of my house was imminently going to fall down if I didn't have them back to do more work.

You can't trust the reviews, either, because many people on there are landlords of the type who frankly do not give a damn about the finish as long as the job is cheap.

This may just be my area, though.

Do you know any good tradespeople already? If so, give them a ring and ask them to recommend a good decorator. They often work in informal teams and pass each other work, and you'll tend to find, for example, that a good joiner will recommend a good plasterer, because it makes his work a lot easier.

The other site which is quite good is the Which? recommended trader one. Their top rated people tend to be really quite good.

specialsubject Fri 05-Jun-15 18:09:47

they either don't want the work or are too busy. Grown-ups return calls, but many decorators/builders don't bother, especially the ones who have the area sewn up.

keep trying others. If they are like this when asking for a quote, you don't want them doing the job!

Lucy61 Fri 05-Jun-15 23:27:35

You might be better of calling a handyman / 'no job too small' odd jobs guy from the local paper or local facebook page, if you're on facebook. Any one can do the job you need doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now