Engineered Wood Floor In Kitchen

(18 Posts)
kah22 Sun 17-May-15 22:17:16

I'm currently undertaking a complete kitchen makeover a designer friend is urging me to put in an engineered wooden floor. While I do appreciate the design factor I'm not sure, so I'm asking for arguments fore and against.

So here is the setup. I live in a rural area and have a pretty big garden and while I'm retire and living on my own I do mind my grand nephews and nieces after school. Now I have to say that I have a large garden which requires constant maintenance and if truth be told I'm not the most organised person in the world

My reason for writing the above is an attempt to give you some sort of feel of who I am, but feel free to ask more questions

My choice would be the engineered wooden floor but I wonder what kind of wear it will stand up to

LucyPie Sun 17-May-15 22:28:44

Can't advise as we are currently having the same dilemma so will watch thread with interest especially if people can also advise oiled v lacquered, veneer depth, how well it works with UFH, glued to floor or floating.

We're thinking of choosing a more rustic look so that it will not show 'wear' as much.

kah22 Sun 17-May-15 22:38:46

I'm currently undertaking a complete kitchen makeover a designer friend is urging me to put in an engineered wooden floor. While I do appreciate the design factor I'm not sure, so I'm asking for arguments fore and against.

So here is the setup. I live in a rural area and have a pretty big garden and while I'm retire and living on my own I do mind my grand nephews and nieces after school. Now I have to say that I have a large garden which requires constant maintenance and if truth be told I'm not the most organised person in the world. I'm including three photographs to give you some idea of the landscape; bear in mind I've yet to lay my patio

My reason for writing the above is an attempt to give you some sort of feel of who I am, but feel free to ask more questions

My choice would be the engineered wooden floor but I wonder what kind of wear it will stand up to, is it as robust as floor people would have you believe

RedCrayons Sun 17-May-15 22:43:00

Is that tower in your garden? Wow

Postchildrenpregranny Sun 17-May-15 22:46:42

Have had engineered wood floor in kitchen for 13years .I love it.Yes a bit battered but could be stripped(three times) .Debating whether to move but if we stay will have it done (it's all through our ground floor except sitting room) .Kahrs from John Lewis

kah22 Sun 17-May-15 22:49:18

It's a windmill built in 1810 but completely gutted in the inside. It's a listed building so I can't do anything with it

And sorry for a double post, pressed go to soon !!!

dontcallmelen Sun 17-May-15 22:49:33

Hi I have engineered floor in my kitchen, been down about six years has worn very well, no young children but, plenty of traffic & opens out onto the garden, I damp mop probably every other day & use almond oil every two weeks, very easy to keep clean & doesnt show marks etc & very easy to live with, as it 'blends' well with the room.

blueshoes Sun 17-May-15 23:21:28

I have engineered wood in my kitchen (and the rest of the house) for 2 years now. Looks great, hardy and no problems.

Panicmode1 Mon 18-May-15 08:51:09

We've got engineered wood - oiled along with 4 children under 10 and a dog - and it still looks lovely. On the advice of the installer, I use a steam mop, not a wet mop (IYSWIM) and it's fine.

Cheekychip Mon 18-May-15 13:38:54

I am getting engineered wood flooring in my kitchen diner too.

But oiled or lacquered. Any opinions?

MarshaBrady Mon 18-May-15 13:43:34

Here too, sanded and oiled, it looks really good.

Marmitelover55 Mon 18-May-15 14:14:37

We have uv lacquered engineered oak in our kitchen/diner/snug. It's only even down a year but I live it. Our fitter said not to use steam mop so I have a 123 spray and go mop which seems to work well.

Hiahia Mon 18-May-15 15:59:59

Sorry to jump in on your topic kah22, but I was wondering - to those who already have engineered floors in their kitchen, what are your kitchen doors like? painted or veneered?

Marmitelover55 Mon 18-May-15 16:09:02

Ours are painted white satinwood. Apart from bifolds which are slate grey.

meadowquark Mon 18-May-15 21:50:21

I had the same dilemma for the whole ground floor in my house and decided against engineered and solid wood. I did a key scratch test on samples - engineered wood looked a bit like Pax oak wardrobes (including Kahrs), and did not stand the scratch test well. Solid wood stood a bit better. The contest was won by stranded bamboo flooring which is now being laid. It is darker natural colour so slightly similar too oak (a bit more orangey but not too much).
I must add that I have wooden worktops in the kitchen and it is absolute PITA to maintain in good order. You need to varnish once in few months, keep dry, avoid hot etc. Hate it. With 5 people in the house it is just too hard. I didn't want to have the same on the floor.

Due to specific look of bamboo flooring I have decided to go for minimalistic oriental look- completely new to me after living in a period house, but hoping to achieve an interesting, unique look.

Sorry probably not helpful.

meadowquark Mon 18-May-15 21:54:18

Look of bamboo in my house

shelldriff Wed 20-May-15 13:19:46

we had a product called tuscan engineered installed, love it!!! Company was Find Me A Floor, they were amazing!

horseygin Wed 20-May-15 16:02:43

I have had engineered wood in my last 3 houses spanning 12 years. It has worn really well with kids walking on it in muddy jod boots and I do NOT oil it every few weeks... more like once a year! Just have a mat in front of the sink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now