Opinions on this flooring please

(9 Posts)
Cheekychip Sat 16-May-15 05:48:03

We have decided to get engineered wood flooring in our renovated kitchen/diner/snug which is an L shaped space of about 35m squared.

Because of it being fitted into a kitchen area we have been advised to get laquered which reduced the selection to choose from.
I had originally had dreams of a reclaimed engineered wood as it's a victorian property and I love the character of aged wood but that option seems ruled out.

I have a small sample of this wood below but they don't have a show room anywhere near me (they are in Scotland, I am in London!) so I'm going off their website photos and spoke with the supplier and he said this photo represents how it looks quite well. There is quite a a lot of colour variance which appeals to me but do you think it would look nice I a larger area?

Sorry, long post but this is quite a big decision!

Cheekychip Sat 16-May-15 05:49:31

Trying again hoping it will appear bigger...

BikeRunSki Sat 16-May-15 07:51:31

We have a similar area of engineered wood (oak) and I love it. It has faded a little in the sun (we have had it about 10 years) but because of the natural colour variance this is barely noticeable.

However, we have slate in the kitchen end of the open plan kitchen-dining/play/spare room.

I also would get a very good wood effect laminate next time - something like the top end Quick Step stuff - as the wood we have scratches and dents easily.

TheEmpressofBlandings Sat 16-May-15 09:51:56

I love the photo. We're looking for flooring at the moment, similar criteria, we also have a very large area to cover (around 100sqm in total shock) we'd love to use reclaimed wood but it's so expensive!
I like your choice a lot <scuttles off to order samples.>

Khalinda Sat 16-May-15 10:21:57

I don't think I would have any kind of wood flooring in my kitchen but if you are set on it there are more some that look more "aged" and rustic than this one you've picked.

Friends of our went to this shop, said the owner was really helpful and he actually made up exactly what they wanted. www.goldflooring.com/ Their flooring looks fantastic

Monica101 Sat 16-May-15 12:01:51

I also would have quickstep in a kitchen area, it will wear much better.

But the one you have chosen does look nice, it just may not look so nice in 3 years time. Depends on how long you want it to last, if your selling etc.

Cheekychip Sat 16-May-15 19:36:41

Big big decision for you then theEmpresso!

I am rubbish at making choices. Perhaps I just haven't experienced a 'good' laminate but I didn't even consider it.

Gold flooring is very near to where I live so I might go and have a chat with them but I suspect they will be out of my price range (they have no prices on their website which speaks volumes!)

My current (and previous) home has wood floor in the kitchen and I love it, when I did a bit of research engineered wood was preferable to wood in a kitchen area otherwise I probably would have just gone for wood smile

MyFirstName Sat 16-May-15 22:32:22

I have engineered smoked oak in my kitchen/diner/family room. It is about 3 years old now and does have the odd dent and scratch (dropped tins of beans, a broken toy car being raced over it with the full weight of a 6 year old pressing down (grr)). However, I love it because of the scratches and dints. If I had wanted perfect forever floor I would have chosen tile or amtico/laminate/plastic stuff. I didn't want perfect forever - I wanted real. I went into the local pub just before we ordered it and saw a totally beaten up wooden floor in the bar. Our won't get that beaten up (or fag-end-burnt) but every mark and dent has a history. I like that.

We had oiled wood. Easier to patch up if you do want to repair than lacquered.

Cheekychip Sun 17-May-15 20:24:31

Good to hear myfirstname!
I don't want perfect forever either - my current house has a solid wood floor (engineered is for our new house) full of imperfections as it's years old.

Interesting that you have oiled, when I said it was for a kitchen I was recommended lacquered due to damp resistance.

Think I'll pop down to that gold flooring and ask them, even if they are out of my price range I can pick their brains!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now