UFH in kitchen diner

(10 Posts)
didireallysaythat Mon 11-May-15 08:52:19

I'm planning an extension to give a largish kitchen diner and have be considering UFH. I like the idea of a wood (like) floor but now I'm wondering if ceramic tiles that look like planks might be better and more practical for having in a kitchen plus coping with the heat.

Would maybe a combo of both ?

Advice would be much appreciated - the kitchen will spill out into the garden as well, and our enteranxe hall has the original parquet which I'll get restored at some point.. Maybe safer not to mix wood style ? Ah ! Too indecisive..

VeryPunny Mon 11-May-15 10:54:49

We've just been through this dilemma, and have gone for Amtico. For UFH, you need engineered wood, and I haven't yet seen a kitchen/diner where engineered wood has survived without looking tatty, especially near the sink areas. If you are uber clean/neat freaks then you may be able to make it work. I think engineered Bamboo would cope well, and is the only one really recommended for areas with water (kitchens/bathrooms) but DH didn't like it so it was out.

My uncle has UFH and ceramic tiles which look remarkably like real wood - we ruled those out as if you drop anything (plates/glasses/small child) it smashes to smithereens. Otherwise absolutely lovely, and I would have gone for it if the children were older and I was less cack handed.

Amtico for us was the only thing we could find that would work with UFH and be vaguely practical, and our Amtico does hall/office/kitchen/big living area in one run. The only downside was the cost - to get an Amtico that we both liked and looked indisitinguishable from real wood cost us an arm and a leg.

OldBeanbagz Mon 11-May-15 11:09:12

We have underfloor heating in our kitchen/dining room and have opted for Amtico too. We have a door out into the garden but the Amtico is really easy to keep clean.

I wouldn't put ceramic tiles in the kitchen as i'm too clumsy!

AryaUnderfoot Mon 11-May-15 13:02:21

We have engineered wood with UFH in our family room and it looks and feels lovely. However, I wouldn't put it in a kitchen as I'd be too paranoid about spills and marks.

For our entrance hall/cloakroom we've gone for Polyflor which is an LVT similar to Amtico but works out considerably cheaper. It looks like wood, but is really easy to keep clean and is pretty bombproof. it can also be used with UFH.

didireallysaythat Mon 11-May-15 17:06:41

I feat that amtico maybe out of my price range. I'm happy with tiles but I think DH had woos in mind. I'll have to start persuading him otherwise...

OldBeanbagz Tue 12-May-15 07:58:03

How big is the area? It's possible to get smaller quantities of Amtico on eBay as they're quite often left over from shopfitting jobs. A friend of mine managed to fit out her bathroom & kitchen that way.

didireallysaythat Tue 12-May-15 09:00:08

OldBean it will be 6-8 by 7-8 metres depending on the pitch of the required. Maybe more than an offcut...

sacbina Tue 12-May-15 10:53:29

wood is more insulating than tiles. still works. need to ensure v good insulation underneath

Apatite1 Tue 12-May-15 12:34:00

Amtico here too. I wanted engineered wood but with us now expecting a child, I've gone for more practical flooring.

bilbodog Tue 12-May-15 13:44:45

look at Karndean which is similar to Amtico but cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now