Laminate flooring in bedroom -any opinions?

(22 Posts)
artyanklet Fri 13-Mar-15 08:49:08

Hi, I am replacing my flooring in my bedroom and was thinking about laminate.

Does anyone have laminate in their bedroom?

Do you regret it?

Does it make your room cold?

Any other down falls?

Any advantages?

Many thanks

AlpacaMyBag Fri 13-Mar-15 08:51:21

We have it throughout the entire house. We live on the Continent and it's quite normal here.

I like it now. Much easier to keep clean, no stains, and you can put a nice rug down if you decide you don't like it.

AlpacaMyBag Fri 13-Mar-15 08:52:09

We are in northern Europe BTW.

CoffeeBucks Fri 13-Mar-15 08:59:04

A little bit cold. I put a carpet in after a couple of years & always had a rug next to the bed before that smile

I agree it's easier to sweep & clean but laminate always seems to look dirty faster than carpet? Dust bunnies & hair (I have long dark hair) used to sort of collect round the legs of the bed, so I was always hoovering. That must be less noticeable on a carpet!

FunMitFlags Fri 13-Mar-15 09:17:55

Is there much insulation between the upstairs and downstairs? I have two friends with this and the noise below is incredible.

yomellamoHelly Fri 13-Mar-15 09:22:43

Should imagine it's good for those with asthma. Laminate can also look pretty good nowadays. But I would want carpet.

WhisperingPea Fri 13-Mar-15 09:28:23

It's really cold on the feet. We had loads of rugs down until I slid on one and got badly bruised by the chest of drawers :-( Now just have to have rugs by the bed and I wear slippers at all times in the bedroom apart from the hottest days of summer.

So no, I wouldn't have a laminate floor in the bedroom again.

WhisperingPea Fri 13-Mar-15 09:29:58

Forgot to add, also if you have a DH who isn't terribly light on his feet (or children) you can hear every footstep from the room below.

artyanklet Fri 13-Mar-15 10:00:37

Thanks for replies - definitely given me things to think about.

Dancingbird50 Mon 13-Apr-15 21:55:53

Hi there I am thinking of putting laminate in upstairs bedrooms but want very good sound insulation as am very sensitive to noise. I want to cut down on the noise coming from downstairs to upstairs mostly as I go to bed earlier than my partner and can be disturbed by noises from downstairs in kitchen or by TV.
Apparently you can buy acoustic insulation from shops such as Jordan's .....has any one tried this? Or would it be better to use underlay and carpet to reduce noise? Has any one tried acoustic underlay with laminate? Many thanks.

IUseAnyName Mon 13-Apr-15 22:09:30

We have laminate in our rental, there are marks all over it from the wheels on the bed x

mrsmeerkat Mon 13-Apr-15 22:18:33

I have it in most of the house and I love it. I like knowing it's clean but it is a bit of work to keep clean. I use floor wipes after hoovering.

I have a rug in our room though.

Onecurrantbun Mon 13-Apr-15 23:50:40

Hate it

So very noisy: the sounds seem to ricochet around the room

Also cold and feels yucky on feet

Shows every bit of dust or hair

Can't wait to get the remaining rooms carpeted

BasinHaircut Tue 14-Apr-15 14:45:53

I have one word for you......HAIR!

And you will forever have little bits of stuff stuck to your feet.

Carpet in bedrooms for sure.

SASASI Tue 14-Apr-15 20:21:00

I'm Thinking about kearndean in our bedroom - carpet gets worn down quite quickly & I hate it then - or can anyone recommend a carpet that doesn't?

It's such a pain to get new carpet down with furniture moving etc & in my ideal unrealistic world I would want new carpet every 3 years or so.

museumum Tue 14-Apr-15 20:22:19

We have original wood floor boards. I like its it have a sheepskin by the bed.

poisonedbypen Tue 14-Apr-15 20:24:51

Bamboo flooring here. Easy to keep clean, hard wearing & much less sneezing!

HawkeyeInChaos Tue 14-Apr-15 21:07:26

When I bought my current house it had laminate in the master bedroom. I thought I'd like it. But it always looked dirty (hair mainly) and never felt cosy. It lasted about 8 months until, in the depths of winter, I ripped it all up and put carpet down.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 14-Apr-15 21:12:27

I hate it! Like others have said, it's cold and hair/fluff gathers everywhere. And our bed moves all the time, especially in the middle of sexy fun times, which is occasionally off-putting.

We move in a month to a place with carpeted bedrooms and I can't wait.

Dancingbird50 Thu 16-Apr-15 21:03:20

thanks for the feedback about laminate vs carpet. Has anyone tried using laminate with acoustic insulation and did this help to block sound coming up into the bedrooms from downstairs?

stripytees Fri 17-Apr-15 10:29:16

I have engineered oak and love it. What everyone is saying about dust and hair - I'd much rather easily hoover them from wooden floors than have them stuck to the carpet! Rooms with wooden floors always feel cleaner and fresher. It's not cold either.

meadowquark Mon 06-Jul-15 13:24:43

OP have you installed the laminate yet? I am thinking to replace the carpet with laminate flooring for my aupair bedroom. The room is small and the air never feels fresh. I feel that the carpet collects lots of dust.
Would love bamboo but already have bamboo downstairs and would prefer more neutral, softer colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now