How much did you pay for your composite door, the installation and would you recommend these doors?

(9 Posts)
CrapBag Thu 08-Jan-15 22:41:03

We need a new front door and I was just going to get another upvc one. However I love the red composite doors and have been looking online.

On the Yale website you can design the exact door, they will come and do a survey and measure it for you (this is the part I do NOT want to do myself) then order and install it. The door itself with nice glass (but not coloured), letter box, chain and 3 numbers is just under £650 and the installation is £299. I have looked at similar doors on other sites that have the prices and under £650 seems a really good price.

We don't have a big budget and this is pushing it a bit but I love the look of these doors although I am not averse to the upvc ones.

Are they good doors? I don't actually know anyone with one, accept our neighbours and their house has very good kerb appeal.

wowfudge Thu 08-Jan-15 22:45:48

Sounds about right price wise - depends what door furniture, type of threshold, etc you have. We have one in a design that fits with our 30s house, glass to go with the original glass in the windows, two locks. I don't like a whacking great handle on the outside so we have something less obtrusive.

It is solid feeling, good for sound proofing and draught proofing. I like it. All it needs is the occasional wipe down with soapy water.

mustgetabackbone Thu 08-Jan-15 22:49:49

We looked at the yale door websit but decided not to go with them as they are not actually Yale. They have been featured on watchdog and a thread on money saving expert warning others about them. We have paid 1800 to a local company for door and fitting but are having rosewood inside and out with a glass side panel, and chrome door knocker and letterbox, with lead detailing in glass. Be wary and do some research.

awishes Thu 08-Jan-15 22:51:00

Definitely maintenance free and more attractive than uvpc. Mine was much more expensive a few years back so good price, go for it!

babyiwantabump Thu 08-Jan-15 22:52:36

Have heard good reviews about valuedoors.co.uk as have been looking into a door for myself - they have prices on the website with fitting costs and seem very reasonable

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 08-Jan-15 23:08:10

We have a Rock Door. I absolutely love it. It would be hard not to given I had a 70's style aluminium, single glazed door when I first moved in!

I paid £1,450 but that included fitting, replacing two windows to either side of the door and the door is wider than a standard door.

The hall is a zillion times warmer with the new door.

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 09-Jan-15 03:44:12

Our composite front door is from Yale and is great. We had no trouble with them and paid it off with interest free credit over a year. Just finished paying and have ordered a back door from them too. I didn't realise they'd been featured on watchdog.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 09-Jan-15 04:43:40

There are a couple of different types of composite doors. I looked into it about a year ago and unfortunately I have the memory of a sieve these days, so I can't remember the exact details, but...

One is much more safe than the other. It's much more 'solid' inside with something like a 5 way locking mechanism which goes up & down the door and across it.

The other us a very lightweight door with a single locking mechanism.

There is a reasonably significant price difference, but it's worth the difference in my opinion.

I still haven't organised ours, but I need to as the old one is very draughty! I got cross because I liked the colour if the not so good door, typically!

I would also make sure it comes with a long guarantee on the colouring too. A local 'new build' estate near us all has composite doors, 2 years on they all look dreadful.

Composite is much nicer than UPVC and definitely worth the difference.

Gemma175 Wed 03-Feb-16 12:28:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now