Selling a house with things wrong with it, o we need to let the buyer know?

(24 Posts)
Lepaskilf Sun 20-Jul-14 21:08:52

So some of the issues are small but annoying like

Front door is stiff to lock,
The windows need the little button pressed in on handle to close,
The bath tap doesn't give out cold water (although the shower does)
The central heating temperature dial doesn't work
There is a concrete raised bit out the front, the bulk of which is made of Rubble and is slowly colapsing.... although we recently poured some Concrete in to make safe and tarted it up (we did this ourselves so no building regs)
We had to botch the bedroom ceiling a couple of years ago due to water tank leak.

I feel like we should leave a list to help the new owners (I know I'd like that as a buyer) but dh reckons that we may be liable for issues, esp the raised area. I don't know?.... Can things come back to us once we've sold if we're not open about issues?

The buyer has only had a survey for mortgage purposes as far as we know, certainly no full survey.

milkjetmum Sun 20-Jul-14 21:12:11

That all sounds fairly minor to me... I would have said if it was something like your boiler not working or an active leak you should declare it, otherwise it's sold as seen like a used car.

Bowlersarm Sun 20-Jul-14 21:13:11

Caveat emptor I think.

Your buyers are responsible to ensure the house is in a condition they would like it to be.

And they should organise the surveys accordingly.

milkjetmum Sun 20-Jul-14 21:13:15

Leave them a box of chocs for moving in day but don't leave your phone number!

Namechangearoonie123 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:13:46

They're completely minor and it's up to them to figure it out

ihatethecold Sun 20-Jul-14 21:34:20

I wouldn't say the bath tap not giving out cold water or the thermostat not working are minor things.

We bought a house that has so many minor things wrong that it's cost a fortune in time and money over the years.

Do the right thing and tell your buyers.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 20-Jul-14 22:03:23

I would get the cold water tap and the central heating dial fixed. The other things should show up on a survey or are minor issues.

Lepaskilf Sun 20-Jul-14 22:13:00

Thanks for replies. I was thinking of giving them a list of the things once we've left. I don't want to tell them beforehand incase it effects our sale.

We have tried to get the watertap fixed..... It worked fine until we got a £300 mixer tap fitted! The pressure was awful before hand... so this is actually an improvement as you can use the shower head to put cold water in to bath (Not sure why the shower head has cold and the tap doesn't when they both come from the same system. We've had 3 plumbers in and they don't know either :/

The thermostat dial doesn't work as we have a back boiler attached to our woodburner and the previous owners disconnected the thermo, it's too complicated to fix (again we've had an electrician flumoxed).... Each radiator has an individual thermo though.

The house was built in 1860, some of the issues in the house are way beyond our time here, which we have struggled to find answers to.

QuacksLikeADuck Sun 20-Jul-14 23:58:48

Unless you are happy for your "honesty" to cost you £££ in time and money, then keep quiet.

You are being far too nice. 99% of other people won't be doing this, including your vendors. "Expect problems" is the only mantra to live by when buying and selling houses!

flipflopsandcottonsocks Mon 21-Jul-14 00:09:56

Don't tell them. It's up to them and their solicitor to ask the right questions and arrange the appropriate surveys. If you tell them then they will use it as a bargaining tool to reduce the price of the house. All houses have little things wrong with them, they should expect that and if they don't then they are very nieve!

PetulaGordino Mon 21-Jul-14 00:15:18

you should read the thread in classics "things i would like to ask the people who owned my house before me". your list is small fry and really not issues - you would let someone housesitting know about them but not future purchasers

hifi Mon 21-Jul-14 00:40:41

I was still removing stuff when my buyer turned up to move in. I took her around the house and explained all the quirks. She was really grateful . I wouldn't do it before

Lepaskilf Mon 21-Jul-14 07:08:40

thanks!

we knew our previous owners and bumped in to them about a month after buying and they apologised to us :/

think i'll leave them a box of chocolates!

hoboken Mon 21-Jul-14 07:13:51

Those faults are minor. None of them renders the property unsafe. It is up to the buyer and his/her solicitor to make sure the appropriate surveys are carried out. (I posted on the other thread about a gas fire that was dangerous.

Optimist1 Mon 21-Jul-14 07:45:11

I agree that these things sound minor. Isn't there a declaration that has to be completed by a seller detailing what is included in the sale and whether it has been maintained/is in working order? (I'm thinking that the central heating would fall into this category, and possibly the plumbing.)

Lepaskilf Mon 21-Jul-14 09:32:27

We haven't seen that declaration optimist.... if it comes through then we'll be honest.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 21-Jul-14 09:55:10

Our declaration didn't go into such details, but the buyers did come and do a 3rd viewing before completion and asked about whether every tap, radiator, socket, lock etc worked. I think at that stage you have to confess or become liable. Chances are they won't ask these questions though (our buyers were very thorough!).

Lepaskilf Mon 21-Jul-14 10:34:10

mrsjohn i dont mibd declaring at that stage as its more for their convenience rather than me worryibg about them not gping through with the sale...... they've only had one viewing and put in an offer of the asking price there and then, they were our 1st viewers. Our asking price sort of reflects the issues but the buyers dont know this, they know they got a decent price though which is why they snapped it up.

minipie Mon 21-Jul-14 14:38:56

Read carefully any document that your solicitor sends you or asks you to fill in, especially the contract and property questionnaire, plus any further questions from the buyers (they might ask some extra questions). As long as you are answering all questions honestly then you have no obligations to tell them anything further.

It would be nice to leave a list when you move out, and might make their life easier, but on the other hand it will take the shine off their moving in day and might seem a bit "ha we pulled a fast one on you"! Maybe send them a letter a week or two after completion?

Their survey may reveal some of the issues anyway.

specialsubject Mon 21-Jul-14 16:15:09

I would tell them, especially things like why the thermostat dial doesn't work and how to work round it. Otherwise they will waste a lot of time.

bedroom ceiling isn't an issue as long as the water isn't leaking now. Most places have had a leak at some point.

but you leave these kind of instructions in the house on completion, price won't change then!

CaleyThistle Mon 21-Jul-14 17:24:02

I've always left a card with details of where the stop cock is and copies of instruction manuals for cooker / boiler etc, along with giving them final gas / elec readings. Don't point out problems, just say, "if the front windows are sticky, just give them a wiggle to open" or equivalent.

Lepaskilf Mon 21-Jul-14 17:34:43

We had a call from the solicitor today, the buyers had some enquiries about the raised bit out the front.... my dh was honest about the fact that he knows nothing about it but it was collapsing on top so he has attempted to make it safe and put fencing around it for our children.

I will leave a letter when we leave, prob the best idea!

Aberchips Tue 22-Jul-14 12:20:50

I was wondering about this as well - we have a set of patio doors which only lock using the middle "round" push in locks rather than the main mortise lock.

The mechanism on the main lock jammed a few months ago - the door still locks. Would you say anything? I am getting a man to come and look at it tomorrow but if it's going to cost a fortune I'm not sure what I'll do.

Lepaskilf Tue 22-Jul-14 14:50:50

aber if it was me I leave it. if it still locks then its safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now