Why is my tap water so unbearably hot?!

(9 Posts)
winnertakesitall Sat 19-Jul-14 18:38:39

About 6 months ago we had a new Worcester boiler fitted. We also have a huge tank thingy as we have a 3 storey house to pump the water about.

But... the tap water is scorching. Within seconds it is too hot to hold your hands under without mixing in the cold.

Why is this, when I have it set to cold... as you can see on my photo, the radiators are set to hot (6/6) and the water is set to 'min'.

And yet my hands are getting burnt sad

Any advice?!?!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 19-Jul-14 18:48:06

I'd ring an engineer. I don't want to alarm you but some years ago a baby was in it's cot and water came out of the tank, through the ceiling and over the baby, who was scalded sad. Apparently there was a problem with their water system which manifested itself by hot water coming out of the cold tap.

He long has the water been coming out hot?

winnertakesitall Sat 19-Jul-14 18:59:16

Sorry - not sure I was clear!
The cold water comes out cold out of the cold tap.

The hot water comes out scorching out of the hot tap!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 19-Jul-14 20:02:48

Oh, I see! Well, I'm glad about that tbh! In that case, on your water tank there should be a temperature thermostat - check what it's set at and turn it down if it's too high.

PigletJohn Sat 19-Jul-14 22:15:18

What colour is your hot water cylinder?

Can you see the thermostat on it? Has it fallen off? What is it set to?

Does it also have an electric immersion heater in the cylinder? Has it been turned on?

winnertakesitall Sat 19-Jul-14 22:59:06

Ah... All good questions... I will check the cylinder tomorrow. Neither me or DH are clued up on these things. They should run master classes about this stuff for school children so they don't flounder about in their thirties like me and DH!

MillyMollyMama Sun 20-Jul-14 00:04:36

My guess is that the thermostat is actually faulty. It is not producing water at the temperature you are setting.

InsertUsernameHere Sun 20-Jul-14 00:11:52

Is this a new problem? We had a similar problem with our shower running off a combi boiler. It was fitted on winter and the recent increase in ambient temperature meant that the shower at its coolest was too hot. Plumber can and fixed it easily (and for free as part of snagging)

goodasitgets Sun 20-Jul-14 00:22:29

Can I swap you for a dead boiler that doesn't produce any hot water?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now