Buyers refusing white goods 1 working day before move - options?

(25 Posts)
lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 18:24:41

Our buyers (first timers and a bit naive) originally wanted our white goods. They email today at 5.30 (ie after our council bulky waste disposal line has closed) saying they've decided they don't want them... I have put our nearly new washing machine and older fridge freezer on freecycle but if no-one wants them, we don't have a way of getting rid of them as our movers have given us a detailed and itemised quote which doesn't include them. Would it be reasonable to leave them and ask the buyers to have them removed if they don't want them, given the very short notice? I am a bit cross as they have been extremely demanding (last time we ever give contact details to a buyer!!) Advice very welcome.

lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 18:25:38

We also can't take them anyway as the new place is fully integrated :/

marmitelover Fri 18-Jul-14 18:28:03

They are being outrageously unreasonable. Leave them behind and they can deal with calling the council to collect. Just say it's too late for you to arrange anything else - which is 100% true. It's bloody cheeky of them too as they must have known this. Were you charging them anything for them?

lloydlf76 Fri 18-Jul-14 18:32:42

They're being cheeky chancers! They were going to pay you for them but pull out last in ute so now you leave them anyway and they get them for free! I'd take them out of principle even if it costs me extra

pilates Fri 18-Jul-14 18:37:45

Were the white goods included in the sale price or were they paying additional monies for them? If they were included and you wrote this on the fixtures and contents form they would form part of the contract, so I would leave them and they can have the responsibility of getting rid.

HauntedNoddyCar Fri 18-Jul-14 18:38:25

Is it not tied up in the contract that they're buying them. Including the amounts?

BuildYourOwnSnowman Fri 18-Jul-14 18:43:00

If it was all included in the contract leave it and let them deal

If they are now saying they are unwilling to pay take them on principle!

We had this - the white goods an sone furniture were all unusual sizes to fit into te kitchen an the day before we moved they decided thy wouldn't buy them after all. So we took them and they cluttered up the new place for a couple of weeks before we sold them. Unfortubately we had to leave a couple of pieces of furniture but gave two pieces to people whobworked at the block.

I hate chancers like that.

lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 18:44:41

We put down a small sum for each - £50 I think - don't care about the money but do care if they then cause a fuss if we haven't removed them! They have been massively annoying but we think it's worth keeping them sweet in case we have a problem with postal redirection.

LIZS Fri 18-Jul-14 18:47:02

Do you have a local charity who would collect and sell on used white goods ? Check council website and leave the details for the buyers if they cannot pick up on the day. I hope they haven't asked for a reduction on the back of it.

pilates Fri 18-Jul-14 18:49:52

If you have exchanged then they form part of the contract and you should leave them. If you haven't exchanged you will need to take them with you.

mellicauli Fri 18-Jul-14 19:04:52

Take them with you. Get council to collect from new house.

7to25 Fri 18-Jul-14 19:11:01

I thinK BHF take electricals. Sorry, British heart Foundation.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Fri 18-Jul-14 19:11:29

If they have agreed to pay £50 per item then deduct that from the sale price (or ask them to stump up the cash if that's impossible) and call a man with a van from gumtree to take it away. They will charge you a pittance and be pleased to take them to sell. They might even take them for free if they are in good condition.

LIZS Fri 18-Jul-14 19:11:35

or ask neighbours ?

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Fri 18-Jul-14 19:12:18

I didn't mean ask them to stump up the cash I meant refund them the cash. Getting confused.

Mintyy Fri 18-Jul-14 19:15:00

Leave them! They are their problem. What sort of fuss can they kick up now?

lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 19:16:00

Thankfully both items went in 15 mins on freecycle so problem averted, such a pain we could have done without though!

lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 19:16:34

They definitely didn't pay for them!

lessonsintightropes Fri 18-Jul-14 19:16:58

And hopefully the new owners will enjoy them grin

LIZS Fri 18-Jul-14 19:18:33

wow that's quick . Bet the buyer asks about them when they move in .

Blu Fri 18-Jul-14 19:21:46

Oh, ok! I was going to say 'pretend you didn't get the e mail' grin

specialsubject Fri 18-Jul-14 19:24:57

if they were listed on the fixtures and fittings list, keep that email. This is to make sure they don't come back after completion saying' where are the white goods?'

hiccupgirl Fri 18-Jul-14 22:30:16

Leave them as they said they wanted them. There's a lot they can do about it tbh.

Our sellers kindly left us 2 huge wardrobes in our bedroom that we had clearly said we didn't want but they couldn't be bothered taking them apart to move them. We had the fun of getting rid of them instead. They also left random things in cupboards and in the shed which again became our problem to sort out.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 18-Jul-14 22:50:12

Oh dear, they're going to be a bit put out that, after congratulating themselves that they'd got your items for barely anything, they're not there now..... grin
Good for you.

Sandthorn Sat 19-Jul-14 07:51:08

That's a great outcome. I was going to suggest you left them there for them to dispose of, seeing as they had clearly left you too little time to make the arrangements. But like one or two others, I suspect they were hoping they'd get them for free, so I would have permanently disabled the appliances out of sheer spite before I left.

But I'm very glad you didn't have to go down that route wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now