What is the best kitchen work surface?

(80 Posts)
MissClemencyTrevanion Mon 14-Jul-14 20:01:44

Just that really. I've done research, read all the old threads and there seems no consensus. We've been quoted for quartz but now two separate people have said 'don't go for quartz, it marks/stains, we'd never have it again' but there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution.

Can anyone say definitely what is the best surface for a kitchen.

burnishedsilver Mon 14-Jul-14 21:26:06

I've ordered silestone brand quartz. I had samples of cheaper brands of quartz and in my little home trial of leaving tea, wine and ink on them, they stained. The Silestone didnt stain.

I currently have black granite. Its a safe bet. I've had it about 13 years and its as good as new. I gather the lighter coloured granites are more porous and stain more easily.

MissClemencyTrevanion Mon 14-Jul-14 21:45:50

Yes we want a pale colour - that's part of the problem.

So there is a difference between different types of quartz? One of our friends who didnt recommend it did say theirs was cheap.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 14-Jul-14 21:49:58

We've got pale corian. Love it.

Pinkfizzy Mon 14-Jul-14 21:55:27

watching with great interest!

Taffeta Mon 14-Jul-14 21:59:43

We've had pure white silestone for the last 5 years, not a mark on it, and I am a slovenly cook.

Would recommend it in a heartbeat. Stick hot stuff straight on it, and very easy to keep clean.

carlajean Mon 14-Jul-14 22:16:06

We've just moved into a house with black granite worksurfaces. I wasn't keen, but,after only 2 weeks, I'm totally converted.

arna Tue 15-Jul-14 03:16:48

Quartz is not porous. Granite is.

Blueuggboots Tue 15-Jul-14 06:52:01

We've got the fake quartz that can be cut on site made by bush board I think?
M stone I think it's called. It looks great. It does mark but it comes off with a good clean.

burnishedsilver Tue 15-Jul-14 08:02:11

If you want a light colour I think it has to be silestone. Ive ordered silestone lagoon.

The other brands of quartz needed a good scrub with cif to remove some of my test stains.

my sister has a light colour corian. She has to use bleach on it even though its not recommended.

MissClemencyTrevanion Tue 15-Jul-14 08:12:30

I was told Corian scratches?

Really interesting Taffeta is it matt or shiny? I'd love pure white. So does it even resist curry stains for example.

I currently have wood, so I'm used to being careful but if I'm spending lots of money I'd like it to be very hard wearing and easy to clean. Especially I don't want it to stain or scratch. Any stains would show really badly I think on white/pale which would be so frustrating.

s113 Tue 15-Jul-14 08:21:23

Remember when Hyacinth Bucket started pouring various things on display kitchen worktops in a shop, and taking notes?

(Cheerfully, while a salesman stands horrified) "I'm just checking how well work surfaces in this range cope with spillages. I may have to leave the cake mixture until it sets and come back!"

"I needed the vicar's confirmation that this work surface is Angel Gabriel blue!"

burnishedsilver Tue 15-Jul-14 09:00:59

That's me s113 and my husband is like the priest on Fr Ted who breaks everything while denouncing it as 'shoddy workmanship'. We're a sales person's nightmare :-)

Tattypoo Tue 15-Jul-14 11:00:30

We've got Apollo Slab Tech in polar white and I love it. Had it for 5 years & looks as good as new. Its like a cross between corian and silestone - you can have seamless joints like corian but looks more like stone. Ours looks like very pale limestone and is cool to the touch. We've thrown all sorts at it, I'm not brilliant at cleaning immediately after spillage but a decent surface cleaner takes off all the marks, even curry. Only downside was the initial cost but am so glad we splashed out, can't rate it highly enough. Have added a quick pic of mine to give you an idea of what it looks like...

MissClemencyTrevanion Tue 15-Jul-14 12:48:16

I like the look of yours Tatty and your kitchen too! I wanted those wrap round work surfaces but I think the budget doesn't stretch too them. I shall google Apollo slab tech.

Taffeta Tue 15-Jul-14 14:20:11

It resists curry, tomato purée, tea etc.

Here's a pic. It's not high shine but not matt.

dukesy68 Tue 15-Jul-14 15:38:36

Glass... It is brilliant as long as it is looked after..

Resists Everything. Naturally, you cant use sharp knives directly ON it, but apart from that it is pretty much bullet proof.. AND it looks good..

burnishedsilver Tue 15-Jul-14 16:43:41

I bet your're sorry you asked! You wanted one decisive answer but instead got lots of new suggestions.

MissClemencyTrevanion Tue 15-Jul-14 18:36:44

Yup, I need everyone to agree on one product only please. All those pictures look lovely.

dukesy isn't glass expensive? I really liked the glass fronted cabinets but they were way out of my league. And doesn't it smear? I used to have a glass table and it scratched and smeared badly.

Any votes for laminate? I am a little tempted. At least it's not expensive if I don't like it but we are having quite a large island and I wonder if they look better in a stone or similar.

I'm not getting nearer to a decision am I?

Spickle Tue 15-Jul-14 20:49:29

Yes, I would vote for laminate, I have had it for years and it has withstood a lot of misuse! However, I am planning a new kitchen and would dearly like to go for something more "classy" looking and so far silestone quartz seems to be my favourite, but I would balk at paying thousands for a lovely worktop, only to find it is a faff to keep it looking like new!

Sorry, not helpful....

SheEvelyn Tue 15-Jul-14 21:19:08

stainless steel

I had it in previous house combined with corian and chose it this time for all surfaces

Chillisauce Tue 15-Jul-14 22:07:18

I see knowone has said wood, I'm looking too but fancy wood. Is it really that bad on the upkeep?

MissClemencyTrevanion Tue 15-Jul-14 23:12:16

Actually I don't have a problem with our wooden worktops, ever since I used hard wax oil on them as recommended on here. I would have them again but they won't go with the style of kitchen I want.

dukesy68 Wed 16-Jul-14 12:58:24

@MissCT : No smearing problems.. And yes, it CAN scratch (not easily) but you cant really see the scratches unless you get REALLY close to it, which you dont !

But i guess you could say the same about ANY tops..

Re : Expensive, not as much as the Corian (at least when we had it fitted)

noddyholder Wed 16-Jul-14 13:06:05

I always use wood in developments but the one I have now I decided to put laminate in as I had been sent a sample ages ago and loved the colour. Its wilsonart Feutre. Circumstances meant we have been living in the flat for the last year and I am very impressed with it Looks lovely can scrub with bleach etc and put hot things on it and it looks like new. I love how I don't have to think about it. Its matt and square edged and looks a bit like concrete but I wouldn't hesitate to have it again its really moved on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now