Slate in hall then what to do with stairs??

(16 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Sun 15-Jun-14 11:17:49

Doing lots of work at the moment.
Would like slate from front door, through hall, in kitchen to garden.
But - there are 4 steps half way down the hall on way to kitchen?
We will carpet staircase upto 1st floor but what to do re the ones down?
Any ideas?

burnishedsilver Sun 15-Jun-14 12:15:35

Can you tile them in the slate?

JugglingChaotically Sun 15-Jun-14 12:23:56

Can you time stairs? I had no idea?

JugglingChaotically Sun 15-Jun-14 12:28:46

Oops. Tile!

burnishedsilver Sun 15-Jun-14 14:46:02

You can but I think it depends on what they are made of. Are they wood or concrete?

JugglingChaotically Sun 15-Jun-14 15:26:56

Wood

Littlefish Sun 15-Jun-14 15:30:02

I would paint them a lovely warm dark grey.

GobblersKnob Sun 15-Jun-14 15:37:23

We have tiled our hallway in slate and I am planning to paint the stairs black.

burnishedsilver Sun 15-Jun-14 17:13:20

If they of a decent quality you could sand and stain or paint them. If they are not perhaps consider replacing them with better quality wood that is designed to be exposed. I think carpet would get very dirty.

What are they made of? Pine is really soft and scratches and dents really easily. You might really regret not carpeting or tiling.

Could you paint then put a tread carpet in? Thinner than stair width? Stripes maybe, something in colour scheme?

GobblersKnob Sun 15-Jun-14 17:42:26

I quite like slightly knackered looking painted stairs, that might just be me though.

JugglingChaotically Mon 16-Jun-14 04:46:20

The stairs are currently oak but altering the hall and kitchen link so part will be new and can't get wood to match.
Stairs (only 4) look good but will be slate then oak stairs then slate. Won't that look odd?
It's narrow so was hoping for single run through from front door through to kitchen.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Mon 16-Jun-14 05:02:40

Imo the best idea would be to paint them a warm grey.

burnishedsilver Mon 16-Jun-14 10:50:19

Ask the tiler if they're suitable for tiling. I suspect they'd need to be concrete.

Its just occurred to me that if they're too similar to the rest off the floor people might not notice the change in levels and might be more prone to falling. Maybe varnishing the oak might be best

burnishedsilver Mon 16-Jun-14 10:52:31

If they can be tiled perhaps a wood strip at the edge would make it more obvious that there's a step

MillyMollyMama Mon 16-Jun-14 10:55:57

I would paint the stairs mid grey and put a runner up them. I quite like the striped ones. All grey/black is bit dark otherwise and painted stair treads look shabby very quickly. I would not use wood or tiles coming off slate because I think this would feel and look wrong. Definitely not tiles anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now