Has anyone bought/used a Baby Belling cooker?

(10 Posts)
buyingababybelling Tue 10-Jun-14 21:09:23

For various complicated reasons I've made the decision to have our gas cut off and the meter removed (long story short: the meter is in a dangerous place, and the effort involved in getting it moved to somewhere less dangerous is just too much), so I have to get a new cooker, an electric one.

Thing is, I'm a very basic cook, and have a really, really tiny kitchen. I am seriously considering buying a really tiddly cooker, a Baby Belling like this: www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/cookers/electric-cookers/belling-baby-121r-electric-tabletop-cooker-white-19765669-pdt.html#longDesc

Am I mad?

jellyandsoup Tue 10-Jun-14 21:21:12

I have used one, they are awful things! The one I used was old but unless they have improved massivly this would not be any good for day to day cooking. Sorry

LoblollyBoy Tue 10-Jun-14 21:36:43

I used one when I was a student and I thought the oven was fine. I had a single gas ring, though, that was at a good height for me so I can't vouch for the rings really. When they say 'grill' they mean the underside of the hot plate.

Pipbin Tue 10-Jun-14 22:09:53

I use them when I cook with the children at school.
The hob is OK, but the oven is dreadful. It doesn't get up to temperature so doesn't cook properly. I guess it would be OK for stuff like a freezer pizza or pasta bake, but you can't bake a cake in them.

buyingababybelling Tue 10-Jun-14 22:13:59

This is all useful, thanks everyone.

Gintonica Wed 11-Jun-14 10:34:45

What about a convection/microwave oven? We have one which would be smaller than the Baby Belling and I use it as a main oven most of the time. (I had a Baby Belling many many years ago when I bought my first flat and it lasted me a long time, perhaps I just got used to it but I didn't have any issues with it then)

VeryPunny Wed 11-Jun-14 13:50:45

We have this one:

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/mini-ovens-and-grills/russell-hobbs-13824-10-electric-mini-cooker-white-01565975-pdt.html

after our oven gave up the ghost as we are planning a new kitchen/rennovations so there's no point fixing the oven and we'll need something to cook on when the kitchen has been gutted.

The oven is actually surprisingly good - heats up quickly and is very true to temperature.

bouncinbean Wed 11-Jun-14 13:55:20

My auntie had one in her tiny flat. Like Pipbin said - the hob is fine but she was gutted that the oven was pretty rubbish.

buyingababybelling Wed 11-Jun-14 14:04:57

Thanks, everyone.

VeryPunny - I'd not seen that, and am interested! Thanks.

lindalancaster Fri 13-May-16 16:34:29

Seriously, I had two Rangemasters in two different houses. they are marvellous.
Now I am renting a house and have a Britannia! Unbelievably over-complicated with 11 knobs! There is a setting even for Pizza. Its just not necessary.
About to move again and buy a house with a new Belling Range, but the reviews aren't good.
I will be changing it to another Rangemaster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now