Rugs from turkey

(10 Posts)
Karbea Thu 05-Jun-14 18:15:35

I've always fancied a Turkish rug for our dining room. We are holidaying there soon and wondered whether it's worth buying or trying to find one whilst we are there?

rhubarbcrumbleplease Thu 05-Jun-14 19:26:40

I bought one about 10 years ago. It wasn't cheap and despite haggling I'm not convinced we got a good deal. Definitely shop around.
Having said that, I still like it, it's worn well & was cheaper than John Lewis.

Karbea Thu 05-Jun-14 19:42:13

Did you bring it back on the plane?

rhubarbcrumbleplease Thu 05-Jun-14 19:53:30

No, we had it shipped. I think it took about 6 weeks and cost about £40 in shipping and insurance.
It was a long time ago.

DramaAlpaca Thu 05-Jun-14 19:57:13

We bought one in Turkey about 20 years ago and brought it back on the plane. It took up most of the suitcase!

I still absolutely love it. We bought it in a little bazaar near the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, and haggled for it over cups of apple tea. No idea whether or not it was a good deal, but no regrets.

We spend a lot of time in Turkey and there are some lovely quality rugs out there, but be prepared to spend A LOT OF TIME haggling, once you show any sort of interest you will be captive in the shop, it is all part of the process. What part of Turkey are you going to ?.

Karbea Thu 05-Jun-14 20:59:26

We are going to Side. I've never been before.

You can have them shipped at cost, pay by credit card and you are insured if it doesn't turn up. I have had a few things shipped and they have always turned up, some of the house stuff out there is fantastic, especially solid wood furniture (which is actually cheaper than buying anything from their version of B&Q).

Never been too Side but the in-laws have been a few times and say it is beautiful. You will have a great time, we are off on Sunday to Bodrum. You might even be able to get a bench shipped for your hall grin.

Karbea Thu 05-Jun-14 21:52:44

Haha yes maybe ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now