For those with an Aga (gas). Is it OK to turn it down? Help.

(6 Posts)
CuddyMum Tue 03-Jun-14 08:18:07

So, we moved in last year and have experienced the Aga through all seasons now. Is it OK to turn the Aga down, eg when we are away on holiday? If so, just how low can I go? Is it also possible to turn it down during the day (so I don't cook the dogs) and then back up again when we cook?

Help! Any advice welcome please smile

AmpersandRea Tue 03-Jun-14 09:23:41

Yes, you can turn it down while you're on hols. Not sure how low (ours is an old oil Aga converted to gas so a bit temperamental)
Not sure it would work turning up at night and down in the day, it stores the heat so you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Aberchips Tue 03-Jun-14 09:34:31

You can turn it off altogether while you're on holiday if you like - my mum does this with hers while they are away. Just bear in mind it will take a while to heat up again when you get back - a problem if you want to cook straight away or it heats the hot water for you.
You can turn it down but obviously again it won't be as hot for cooking etc. As previous poster said I wouldn't think turning it up & down daily would work that well.

CuddyMum Tue 03-Jun-14 10:56:58

Thank you smile

randomfemale Tue 03-Jun-14 19:37:35

We have our gas powered Aga turned off completely during the warmer months because it gets unbearably hot in the kitchen. We have a free standing electric cooker for use during this time. The gas bill if left on all year round is eye watering!

CuddyMum Wed 11-Jun-14 16:45:24

Both my gas and electric bills are eye watering at the moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now