survey says there's Asbestos in artex ceilings

(22 Posts)
Treadlightly Mon 02-Jun-14 12:55:16

We're buying a 1950's semi & just got the survey back

It's said the artex ceilings may have asbestos & also the drainpipes.

The roof felt lining is torn in places & needs repairing - could be a whole new roof..

we offered 10k below the asking price & it was sealed bids - sale by tender.

Would you ask for a reduction?

Or ask the vendors to remove all the asbestos before we exchange contracts?

SwedishEdith Mon 02-Jun-14 13:05:35

I think lots of 70s artex had asbestos and I think it'd be a messy job to remove it. Maybe get a quote for skimming it and see if the vendor wants to half. They might not though

Treadlightly Mon 02-Jun-14 13:09:04

Do you thinks it's ok to just skin it? Would it be safe enough?

I'm a teacher so have been surrounded by the stuff for years grin
Just a bit worried about it being in dd's bedroom

BrianTheMole Mon 02-Jun-14 13:11:19

Depends how much you want it. We knocked off the price of a garage roof when we were buying. The seller agreed. But I was prepared to walk away if he didn't.

tobiasfunke Mon 02-Jun-14 13:14:01

It's fine if it is left where it is. It is only dangerous when it's being broken up when removed.
So skim coating it the safest thing to do. That's what we did. My uncle is a demolition expert who spent a lifetime removing asbestos from buildings and that was his advice.

Treadlightly Mon 02-Jun-14 13:14:36

We want it.... But mainly because there's so little on the market & we've had so much trouble finding a house hmm
Been gazumped & another vendor put price up £30k...

Pros outweigh the cons though - it has a lovely big garden!

tobiasfunke Mon 02-Jun-14 13:15:42

Forgot to say I'd be more worried about the cost of the roof. You should get a couple of roofers to have a look and give you an estimate.

SwedishEdith Mon 02-Jun-14 13:16:22

I think its disturbing it which is the problem so skimming is safer? I'd check with a builder to be sure

SwedishEdith Mon 02-Jun-14 13:17:28

X post

Treadlightly Mon 02-Jun-14 13:18:28

Yes yes to the roof estimate! I think we need to see how much that would be too...

We've had an estimate of £27k for everything else it needs done - plastering, new kitchen, knocking down a wall etc

hellymelly Mon 02-Jun-14 13:21:58

Just about every house will have asbestos somewhere. It was in artex, it was in fillers, it was in tiles around stoves. Looking at properties you might not know, if it has been skimmed. If it isn't that it is lead paint. I have plenty of both. We had one artex ceiling removed, it has asbestos. Really think we should have skimmed it though, as there are still tiny bits here and there, which makes me wonder just how careful the removers were. We had it done as we knew we would never be able to screw into it etc, and the ceiling is an attic one so the eaves come down to the floor. We had all the other artex in the house tested, (it was world of bloody artex here) and it was all ok. Lead paint everywhere though. I also have radon. Oh joy.

Treadlightly Mon 02-Jun-14 13:28:37

Oh dear helly! Radon & lead paint too you lucky things grin
There's artex everywhere in this house - hideous !

FlossieF Mon 02-Jun-14 13:34:01

Just because the ceiling has artex, doesn't mean it contains asbestos. I've just had two artex ceilings tested (probably dated back to the 1950s or 60s), and both were asbestos free. The asbestos removal guys swore blind that they would definitely contain asbestos, so I think the surveyors say that it may as a default option. They did also say that if it does contain asbestos, skimming over it would be the best option, as removal is messy and expensive.

We've just had some asbestos cement panels removed, and that revealed a whole lot more of the stuff. It's under the floorboards, and is in good condition, so we're just going to leave it there, as it would cost a fortune to remove, and is OK as long as it's not disturbed. Still bugs me that its there though.

MaliceInWonderland78 Mon 02-Jun-14 13:50:23

I'd go with it. Our house was covered in the stuff (downpipes, guttering, soffets). As we've replaced bits and pieces, we've just fed it to the kids buried it in the ground.

BertieBotts Mon 02-Jun-14 13:53:30

Hmm, just don't get her a high sleeper. I used to spend ages snapping off all of the points on the artex ceiling we had! Also I was always banging my head on mine, that could be an issue.

titchypumpkin Mon 02-Jun-14 14:34:44

i'd keep that quiet malice! It's illegal and you can face an unlimited fine

apermanentheadache Mon 02-Jun-14 14:42:04

Malice.... the soffits might have been asbestos insulation board. That's not to be messed with. Downpipes and guttering prob asbestos cement and not too bothersome unless crumbling or breaking up.

HortenMarket Mon 02-Jun-14 17:04:26

Read this

www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/home

Usually leaving it in place is safer.

MaliceInWonderland78 Mon 02-Jun-14 17:28:25

headache It was all removed safely and sensibly and is now wrapped and buried (very very very deeply). It certainly won't be disturbed and was in surprisingly good condition when it was removed.

I thought it might toughen the kids up if we sprinkled it on their cornflakes - but we decided not to in the end.

Randomnessesses Tue 03-Jun-14 08:09:38

Leave it intact. Skimming is great. Removal can cost a few thousand (we had some walls properly removed)

HaveAGoodDay Tue 03-Jun-14 22:13:09

The house we're ( hopefully ) moving into must of been subject to artex fetish - the lounge, hallway & stair walls are covered in it!

At this stage our plans are to have it skimmed over before we move in as as the survey didn't go into whether asbestos was present or not. What is it/ was it with artex anyway?!! Just can't see the appeal at all!

We had Radon mentioned in the survey too, but vendor's solicitors replied confirming they know of no Radon in the property - should we investigate this further?

dotnet Thu 05-Jun-14 13:22:31

When I was at college, my brother cut me a square of asbestos to put under a little electric ring I used in my bedsit. Nice raw edge asbestos - hm. He also kindly cut a square of asbestos for my ironing board, to put my iron on. I had that for years. Was he trying to tell me something, do you think?

My late mother said, when she was doing her military training as a Queen Alexandra's (army) nurse during the war, all the nurses had to wear asbestos 'siren suits' and run through flames in them!

I do think wearing CLOTHES made of asbestos is a bit too much of a good thing .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now