What would be in your dream kitchen?

(27 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Sat 24-May-14 14:08:34

Not talking about cupboards and drawers but the other bits. We're just about to start our kitchen design.
So far we'd like:
- Two ovens or one extra large oven
- Induction hob
- a warming drawer (maybe)
- American style fridge/freezer
- Built in microwave
- Touch sensitive taps
- Island with plenty of workspace for rolling out pastry etc

Anyone got any other suggestions? Or are there things in your kitchen you couldn't be without?

marshmallowpies Sun 25-May-14 09:21:05

DH wants dishwasher drawers, and a hot boiling tap (I think they're a silly gimmick and the tea never tastes the same with one of those anyway, I'd always boil a kettle so a total waste to get one).

I want a big larder cupboard (but not a pull-out one as I had that at the old house & it got very rickety and creaky). Lots of deep drawers. Range cooker. (Had an eye level one before and it got on my nerves being so high up - every finger mark on it caught your eye!...mind you that does mean a ground level oven in my house never gets cleaned very often, perhaps I should have an eye level one to force me to clean it more...).

Want corian work surfaces - wood is too much of a faff to maintain, had granite before and would like something different now.
No stainless steel sink as we are in a hard water area and keeping them clean is a nightmare.

Undecided - what sort of floor we want. Don't like cold tiles underfoot and underfloor hearing is just too extravagant, so I'm thinking very good quality hard wearing laminate. I had hardwood floors at my old house and they didn't wear well in the kitchen.

MillyMollyMama Sun 25-May-14 10:30:25

Underfloor heating is great because it frees up wall space if you would have had a radiator. I think coffee machines are fantastic but I was advised not to have a grinding one as they need cleaning all the time and refuse to work if you don't do it properly. I have a Miele built in Nespresso one and it is truly a star. I don't have a boiling tap. I was just worried about children being scalded. I have a tried and tested built in dishwasher. I am not particularly into experimentation if the standard design works. Mine is very quiet though and you hardly know it is on. Just a bit of a swooshing noise. A wine fridge is a luxury but it stores the wine and chills it at the correct temperature for whites and reds. As you would store the wine anyway, this seemed a neat way of doing it. I do have a larder unit but the bottom section is crockery storage with 2 deep drawers and a smaller utensil drawer above. The larder cupboard stands on the work surface with two doors, and behind these are deep draws for bread and pasta and shelves for everything else. I keep dry ingredients, sugar, flour, fruit, etc in another cupboard. I would definitely advise having an island unit as it gives much more work surface, but I know not everyone has space. People can sit at it and chat and they give a lot of extra storage. I don't think new kitchens are all about gadgets. Use of space is the key issue. Good luck planning everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now