Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Does this quote for replacing fence sound ok?

(15 Posts)
OwlCapone Tue 13-May-14 17:14:34

Let me know if they do a good job <<eyes huge garden and dodgy boundaries>>

OwlCapone Tue 13-May-14 17:13:25

That's a total bargain then!

SilverSixpence Tue 13-May-14 17:06:52

We are in SE London

SilverSixpence Tue 13-May-14 17:06:36

Great thanks all. DH specifically said not to (we can afford it) so I am a bit worried about telling him! but if it's a good price and will last us a long time and stop the garden being an eyesore then it will be worth it. If anyone can advise on paint colours for the fence that would be great grin

OwlCapone Tue 13-May-14 17:00:10

Sounds like a bargain to me!

PastaandCheese Tue 13-May-14 16:58:58

I'd snap their hands off. I paid £100 per panel after the storms earlier this year and will have to paint them myself.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 13-May-14 16:53:23

Seems reasonable.

We're about to have 7 panels replaced and it will cost £560. 6 ft panels but have to be a certain style to match the rest of the fence. Midlands.

HairyMaclary Tue 13-May-14 16:49:00

We are paying £1500 for replacing 10panels, with concrete posts and base boards. All 6ft high. It sounds fair to me. We got three quotes, nothing between them.

LIZS Tue 13-May-14 16:42:11

Sounds good for 16 panels .

Blackeyez09 Tue 13-May-14 16:40:17

Hi
Which part of the country are you in?
How did you get your quotes did you advertise the jobs
on rated people
Thanks

SilverSixpence Tue 13-May-14 11:25:04

Exexpat our other option was to get 4 panels replaced where the ivy had damaged it, they quoted 350 for that including all the gardening work, so the price seems ok.

DH prefers this option but it would mean either going for the standard panels for the replacements or replacing with close board panels so that if/when we do the rest we don't have to pay twice for new panels. But it will look odd in meantime and can't paint.

exexpat Tue 13-May-14 11:13:23

I paid £400 earlier this year to replace three panels & posts, included hacking back a huge amount of ivy & clematis, and rebuilding a very small section of wall part of the fence was on top of, and making some minor repairs to a gate and other bits of fence (no painting). So if you have 16 panels to replace and paint plus extra bits of work, that doesn't sound too outrageous to me. But maybe get one other company to quote just for comparison's sake?

bakingaddict Tue 13-May-14 11:13:09

Well why not get 3-4 quotes that way you'll be able to gauge what is the most realistic price.

SilverSixpence Tue 13-May-14 11:09:43

Should say, there are 16 panels in total and they are also replacing the gate.

SilverSixpence Tue 13-May-14 11:06:12

We are having a huge ivy plant cut out of our fence, the fence underneath is broken and needs replacing. As we are replacing it anyway, I decided we should also replace the rest of the fencing which is half rotten and always falling down in winter. They are replacing the panels with nicer vertical close bound panels and painting them cream. Also cutting grass and digging over garden and trimming down overgrown plants in garden.

In total it comes to 1k including materials shock DH says this is too much, but it seems fair for the work involved so I'm inclined to go ahead. Company is well reviewed on Rated people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now