Why have we had very little viewers?

(216 Posts)
Rita1003 Fri 02-May-14 18:33:05

Hi all, our house has been on the market since early March. Up until now we have only had two viewings. We received an offer which we accepted but the sale fell through because they failed to sell their own property and their own buyers were not solid.

I'm surprised we have not had more people through the door however and wondered if anyone would like to click on the link and give feedback on the photos? Or anything else on the ad which may be putting some people off. All feedback, good and bad, gratefully received.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43387819.html

specialsubject Fri 02-May-14 18:35:13

ooh, I love these... back in a minute!!

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 02-May-14 18:36:00

Some of the pictures are very dark, I don't think this helps. It also doesn't look lived in. Sorry. I love your sitting room though.

WireCat Fri 02-May-14 18:37:37

Generally lack of viewers is because the house is over priced.
Your house does look nice. Weird photo looking down the stairs mind. I'd get rod of that picture. And some
furniture in the empty bedroom.

PrincessOfChina Fri 02-May-14 18:37:55

Is the garden all paved? That would put a few people off but not lots you can do about it.

I was also surprised at the price but I don't really know the area.

Mrsladybirdface Fri 02-May-14 18:38:08

I think the photos are fine, perhaps too many. Nothing obvious that you could change that would put people off.

looks like a lovely home.

Rita1003 Fri 02-May-14 18:38:52

LadySybil - thank you for the prompt reply. This may sound dumb but in what way does it not looked lived in? The spare bedroom being empty? It is really hard to declutter without making it too bare sad We could put the cot up in the empty bedroom but the baby is not here yet. I agree some are dark - can change those. Thank you so much for the feedback.

I think it presents very well, you've done a nice job on the kitchen and bathroom.

I had to check googlemaps as to where you are, for me, it would be location. Which you can't do much about, but there may not be many looking in that specific area.

You've only been on 2mths, so wouldn't start to worry yet.

Rita1003 Fri 02-May-14 18:40:29

Princessofchina - the area is really sought after. I teach in the village school and people virtually fight to live here due to the primary school.

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 02-May-14 18:41:38

Can you borrow a desk and a book case and 'use it' as a study? People need to see it as a home. I think you've decluttered a bit too much, it looks empty. I'd take the picture of your front door again but open the blind. It's too dark. The first picture needs to be of your house too, not of scenery.

mmm, are you priced right then?

Can you put some pots with bright flowers in the garden to make the outside more attractive?

whattoWHO Fri 02-May-14 18:41:57

I don't know the area, so don't know where are the local 'good' and 'less desirable' parts of where you live.
But right move shows gazillions of similar sized properties within 5 miles of yours for far less money.

BarbaraPalmer Fri 02-May-14 18:42:07

is the price right? I don't know your immediate area, but we only live 30 miles away, in a very, very similar 3 bed victorian semi, and there's no way we'd get £190k for ours.

Endymion Fri 02-May-14 18:43:02

I think you should move so e furniture from the spare room into the empty room. The photo of the spare room makes it look smaller than it really is I think.

So try and dress the empty bedroom in some way.

The photos are a bit dark - I'd ask for them to retake.

Smartiepants79 Fri 02-May-14 18:43:07

Well, overall it looks a lovely house, beautifully kept and decorated.
Looking at the floor plans I'd just say that your bathroom and kitchen both look small in relation to the rest of the rooms.
Not much you can do about that though.
The garden is really not to my taste, don't like all that hard standing.
Don't know the area so can't really comment on price but we live down south, in commuting distance of London, in a larger semi-detached property and I'd be surprised if it was worth what you're asking.

SirChenjin Fri 02-May-14 18:45:16

Some of the photos aren't very good - they seem very dark, so maybe could you get them redone. How does it compare price-wise to other similar houses that have sold recently in your area?

Your house is lovely btw smile

Hassled Fri 02-May-14 18:45:20

I'd buy it for the views alone but agree it does all look a bit dark and gloomy. The hallway photo is not good - makes it seem dark and narrow. We don't need to see down the stair and then the top of the banister as well. I think you need more garden photos - I can't quite understand the layout from what I can see (is the shed on a hill?). You have quite a lot of dark wood furniture (which I love) but to compensate you need colour/light in the photos.

PartyFops Fri 02-May-14 18:46:28

My tips would be :

Choose a good local agent. Unless you have a house that people will fight over internet agents aren't worth the money IMO.

Get good wide angled brighter photos.

De clutter the bedroom.

Is the view photo the pic that comes up on rightmove search? Must have front of house, otherwise people will dismiss without looking as they will think the front of the house must be horrid.

I have just sold my house, I did my own photos originally and went with an internet agent. I then took the above advice from someone else and sold. grin

Good luck

SpringItOn Fri 02-May-14 18:46:46

Some of the photos are dark, as a PP said. Also quite a few are at weird angles, with furniture jutting out. No bathroom picture? Or did I miss it? There are some lovely features but your pics aren't making the most of them. No need for photos looking down the stairs or out of the window smile Are you selling without an agent?

PiratePanda Fri 02-May-14 18:47:13

The sales boom is restricted by and large to the southeast - don't be fooled by what's going on in London, though thankfully things are getting warmer elsewhere now. You live not far from me and our house has been on since January at a very competitive price, and our village has not one but two outstanding primary schools. Loads of viewings but we've only just received our first offer.

Frankly it sounds like you're doing fine, though if you're really worried, drop the price.

Littleturkish Fri 02-May-14 18:47:13

Right, main photo should be your front door- I often skim past landscape photos.

Photos all a bit dark- get a photo keen friend with a wide angle lens to take the photos.

Some odd angles in your photos- look at other properties and try and recreate those photos.

In your spare room, put a cover on the bed and set it up like a proper spare room.

I hope that helps!

Lovely house, btw.

BuggedByJake Fri 02-May-14 18:47:39

It looks really nice inside but alot of the photos are too dark so could do with being changed. Could you make the picture of the living room the first picture? I think it looks very appealing.

I don't want to sound harsh but it's not an attractive house from the outside so I probably wouldn't notice it if looking though a long list of houses.Another reason to change the first pictures.

The view looks lovely but that pic needs to be further along.Also is there a garden or just a paved yard? It's really hard to tell from the photo.

Great house anyway so good luck with the sale.

specialsubject Fri 02-May-14 18:48:02

it looks lovely inside, but the first photo of the outside could be a lot better. My instant reaction on seeing the map is 'it is on a busy road'. Are you? I discover further down that you have parking but I can't see that on the photos.

You appear to be using one of the online agents and the description reflects that. The first paragraphs are clearly lazy boilerplate and don't sell the place at all. The specific stuff is badly written - is it done offshore?

what else can you shout about? New boiler? low running costs? Nearby facilities are all very well but people looking can find that for themselves. What we can't see is the useful stuff.

two photos of the stairs, one bad one of the lounge. I almost thought you had no lounge! Photos also at funny angles.

the smallest bedroom looks cluttered with no storage. You do have some small rooms but they could be arranged better.

it is leasehold. Oh. How long left on it?

HTH. :-)

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 02-May-14 18:49:04

Your views are amazing envy

Can't comment on price / area but I think the photos are strangely cropped and angled as well as being dark as people have mentioned.

You need to dress the empty room as a bedroom - even if it means just shifting in a bed and dresser there for a photo. The two smaller bedrooms' photos just don't make it look as if they are proper bedrooms.

Why are there so many hall pictures when you've got a lovely kitchen / living room / bedroom which should be the first images. Also the slideshow should open with a picture of the house, not the view.

Agree you need to 'green' up the garden with plants and also the stairs to front door maybe putting people off viewing if they are families with buggies / bikes. Get them there first and they can worry about that later.

AwfulMaureen Fri 02-May-14 18:51:01

It looks like there's no garden....just a patio. Is that right? I wouldn't view with no garden tbh. It's a family house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now