Carnforth

(31 Posts)
holmessweetholmes Thu 01-May-14 18:09:47

Does anybody live in or know Carnforth in Lancashire? We are relocating up that way but had mainly been looking at houses in South Cumbria so I haven't checked out Carnforth at all, but have spotted a fab house there. Anyone know if it's a nice little town?
Thanks!

goodasitgets Thu 01-May-14 18:14:21

Don't know too much except it's lovely smile from everyone I've known that's visited

roslet Thu 01-May-14 18:31:24

Is the "Silverdale" property? Buy it! It is so close to the lake district and looks fabulous!

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 18:50:07

depends whereabouts in Carnforth or if it even is Carnforth.... lots have places have a Carnforth address but aren't Carnforth.

holmessweetholmes Thu 01-May-14 18:59:40

Ooh - replies! Thanks. It is definitely in Carnforth itself. Anyone who wants to look on Rightmove, it is called Carnforth House. I have fallen in love with it...

ruddynorah Thu 01-May-14 19:02:19

Carnforth is nowheres ville. Dull. However it is close to nice places. The lakes to the north ans Lancaster is a lovely city to the south.

roslet Thu 01-May-14 19:19:28

I don't know Carnforth itself, but have family in the Lake District, including some in the Southern Lakes about 7 miles from Carnforth. I love visiting, and the quality of life there seems fabulous. My children love it there and there seems to be plenty to do, with good road links too. Your potential house looks very handsome to me.

holmessweetholmes Thu 01-May-14 20:11:51

Yes roslet - we are very excited about moving there - dh's job is a bit further up towards Kendal, so nearer to the Lakes.
Ruddynora - is Carnforth dullsville compared with, say, Milnthorpe, Arnside, Kendal etc? I'm basically trying to work out whether it is worth going a little further from dh's job in order to get this fab house for a good price. If Carnforth is a bit rubbish then it's probably not worth it. But it's not like I'm expecting towns and villages up there to be full of vibrant night life or anything - we are moving there for a slower pace of life grin.

holmessweetholmes Thu 01-May-14 20:12:35

Apologies - I missed the 'h' off your name.

RCheshire Thu 01-May-14 20:38:54

I know the area but not Carnforth particularly well. Going South from there, Garstang is nice but prob too far from work. To the North East, Kirby Lonsdale is nice (smaller) and has a good Booths! Kendal itself is a reasonable size.

As always, you need to visit and spend some time there if you can.

holmessweetholmes Thu 01-May-14 20:44:19

Thanks. Loved Kirkby Lonsdale, Arnside, Silverdale and Kendal and lots of the surrounding villages. Must go up and check out Carnforth I guess. It's such a trek essentially to look at one house!

LocalEditorLancashire Thu 01-May-14 20:44:46

If you want to ask over here local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_lancashire lots of people around Lancaster and Morecambe who may be able to help too.

Is there a house link we can look around with you!

ruddynorah Thu 01-May-14 22:19:50

Where is his job? Carnforth is dull. There's nothing there. It's neither rural nor a proper town really. If you want a nice rural town then Kirkby Lonsdale or Kendal. Smaller towns I would say Arnside. Not Milnthorpe. I don't know Silverdale.

Have you looked at Lancaster? It's a nice compact city with a slow pace but also the vibracy of a university and post graduate population. Lots going on all the time.

RCheshire Thu 01-May-14 22:25:07

Lancaster can look very grim on a wet day (due to the stone used for much of the housing) but it, is in my opinion, a really good size - small enough to know well but with enough going on and variety largely due to the uni. I'd just too far from Manchester for my liking. But you do get an easy run up to the Lakes.

Personally, round that area I'd look at Kirby Lonsdale. I don't think I've been to Arnside. Kendal has everything you need but I've mixed feelings on it. All depends on what size community you're looking for and how long a drive to work is OK.

Shallishanti Thu 01-May-14 22:26:37

I agree with ruddynorah, Carnforth is dull compared to Milnthorpe, Arnside, Silverdale. Where is your dh working?

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:37:35

fuck me if that is your budget we can do something with that!

Your DH has a job at Dallam right from memory?

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:43:28

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43068005.html
burton in kendal - minutes away from Dallam

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:45:00

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45616595.html
Lancaster - approx 20 mins through open countryside to Dallam (I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!)

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:45:19

www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-42665210.html
Bentham - pretty close to Dallam

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:47:07

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27186744.html?premiumA=true

Levens - next village on from Milnthorpe

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:47:59

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27187032.html

proper farmhouse near grange

WestmorlandSausage Thu 01-May-14 22:50:34

I think I have said to you before that travelling 20 miles to work round here is NOTHING. my 30 mile commute is considered fairly standard.

Its such a small community that teachers tend to be as far away from the school they work at as possible.

goodasitgets Thu 01-May-14 22:52:41

Have sent you PM smile

Shallishanti Thu 01-May-14 23:04:07

WM, that 2nd house is in Wray not Lancaster (small pretty village)

WillGardnersNose Thu 01-May-14 23:06:14

so it is ... thought it was too pretty for Lancaster.

Still love it none the less (trying out my new user name)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now