Where to buy in South-East London?

(118 Posts)
shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 20:58:28

Know I'm being daft, but I can't find the right place to post this... surely Msn full of people asking others where to live...

We think we would like to move back to London from Brighton. We need large 5 bed + house, large garden, South-East London, £800k, good schools, nice enough area.
Is this doable?
SO grateful for any advice. We feel completely out of the loop London-wise after leaving. Used to live in Marylebone, pre-children, and don't know South-East London very well - but it looks more affordable.
Our trouble is the size of house we need.
Thanx!

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:07:59

MrsS, we do need the 5th bedroom. Location more flexible.
I do like the look of Forest Hill, Sydenham, Honor Oak, but haven't found 5 beds with large garden...

Walkingtheplank - we live in Brighton, and find it too provincial. So we want more cosmopolitan than Brighton if poss on our budget.

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:11:34

Standson, I know what you mean. But we find Brighton too quiet, and really miss London, so I don't think Croydon would necessarily cut it.
First we moved to darkest Kent, then to Brighton, and just miss London too much.

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:14:09

RandomFriend - do you live in HH? Do you like it there?

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:15:42

Actually just saw some houses in Sanderstead and may be changing my mind!

Littleoaktree Mon 21-Apr-14 22:17:21

How large a garden is necessary? We're in zone 2 SE London and our house is 5 bed, close to good schools and worth under £800k but the garden is quite small (c40ft) - I think the combo of large garden & good schools for the price might be tricky.

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:20:08

hotcrosshunny - where are the right/wrong bits for secondaries in Bromley? And do the grammars have catchment areas you have to look out for? Thankx!

lucidlady Mon 21-Apr-14 22:20:21

Try Hither Green.

MrsSteptoe Mon 21-Apr-14 22:21:14

You could try Raynes Park (Wimbledon way). Not sure about schools.

lucidlady Mon 21-Apr-14 22:22:22
shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:22:36

Littleoaktree - whereabouts are you, roughly? We do want larger garden than that because we will soon have 5 children all close in age to each other, and they need somewhere to go and fight let off steam.

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:25:31

lucidlady - yes it does! I wonder if that's representative of the price.

wilbur Mon 21-Apr-14 22:27:43

OP this house is round the corner from us, v close to Streatham Common, close to good schools inc a v sought after Catholic secondary. It's not the prettiest house but the road is fab, amazing views. It shows what you can find, even in "up and coming" areas like Streatham for your budget.

thecatfromjapan Mon 21-Apr-14 22:28:14

I'd suggest Tooting - I can't think of anywhere else with good primaries, secondaries, tube/transport and five bedrooms. I'd suggest buying in the catchment of Graveney.

Crystal Palace is lovely but I'm not sure about the secondary situation right now. My guess is that it will probably be good by the time your littlies are looking at secondary schools.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket of grammar schools: it is pretty crazy, though better for boys than girls, I think, unless you live in the catchment areas.

Littleoaktree Mon 21-Apr-14 22:34:30

Brockley is our nearest station. Yes I can imagine you do need a bigger garden <faints at thought of 5 children in our small garden every day, 2 is quite enough> grin

Not sure where to suggest, I have friends who live in and like Sydenham, Hither green, forest hill, beckenham - but not sure what the schools are like around those areas.

zen1 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:35:10

Bromley area has some good comprehensive secondaries (eg Hayes, Ravensbourne, Bishop Justus). There are some very nice areas and you'd certainly get a 5 bedroom with a decent sized garden. The super-selective grammars are in Orpington: St Olaves and Newstead Woods.

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:35:12

wilbur - Streatham looks v nice.

thecatfromjapan - Tooting looks v nice too.

Does anyone know about Catford?

catnipkitty Mon 21-Apr-14 22:36:01

South Wallington and Warlingham will both have houses of the size and price you want.

wilbur Mon 21-Apr-14 22:38:14

Fixer-upper with mahoosive garden. Although with 5 children, you probably don't have much time for diy!

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:39:15

zen1 - thanx. So are you allowed to apply for the Orpington grammars from anywhere in Bromley, or only from some areas?

zen1 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:39:30

Orpington to London Bridge is 15 mins by fast train, Bromley to Victoria is similar (using fast service).

shouldwemovebacktolondon Mon 21-Apr-14 22:40:02

zen1 - and might you be able to recommend good areas in Bromley?

MrsSteptoe Mon 21-Apr-14 22:45:30

AFAIK, You can apply for the Orpington grammars from anywhere as they're entirely academically selective.

zen1 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:45:46

AFAIK, St Olaves has no catchment, they just take the top scorers regardless of where in the country you live. I think Newstead Wood has a 9 mile catchment area. Lots of children in the area also sit the Kent and Bexley grammar tests.

MrsSteptoe Mon 21-Apr-14 22:46:32

Having said which, in the event of tied scores, distance will be the tie breaker (so if your child comes in the bottom band, as it were, then you're likely to lose the place to a closer child if you're a way away).

MrsSteptoe Mon 21-Apr-14 22:47:31

x-post, Zen1. Checking admissions page on sites for schools would probably be best, OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now