which of these two houses would you choose?

(75 Posts)
firstchoice Thu 27-Mar-14 18:29:35

this is the first one - rural area. 10m from nearest big town (Hexham) down rural unlit road. 6m from shops / doctor / school etc:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36861073.html?

This is the 2nd one:
6m from Alnwick

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39970321.html?

what do you think?

throckenholt Thu 27-Mar-14 19:23:41

I would go with the semi (although get rid of the bathroom). The loft space looks like a good place for kids to use. It seems bigger overall, and only one adjoining neighbour. The other one has a nicer garden (if you are into gardening)

Bunbaker Thu 27-Mar-14 19:25:08

Second one. I don't know Embleton, but have a couple of friends who love it. I don't care for the bath and the fact that there is only one bathroom though.

throckenholt Thu 27-Mar-14 19:25:13

Having said that - the first one looks to be a nicer immediate location, but further away from civilisation.

I would go for number 2 - the kitchen is bigger, it has an open fire in the lounge, and I love the gallery bedroom in the loft - I would have loved that, as a teenager.

Though I can also see the attraction of the more isolated house too. That's probably not very helpful, is it? Sorry.

youarewinning Thu 27-Mar-14 19:33:13

Both have their pros and cons! <helpful!> I prefer the second one for layout.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:36:50

I don't think the 1st has more kerb appeal. I'd go for the second, but is it ex council? If so probably neither.

trufflehunterthebadger Thu 27-Mar-14 19:37:23

Definitely 2. Lovely raspberry bed...

iseenodust Thu 27-Mar-14 19:37:45

Number 2.
Prefer Alnwick to Hexham and think it has more facilities eg public swimming pool?
Weather will be better year round as it is further east and nearer to sea level.
The kitchen of number 1 hasn't got the width for proper depth cupboards both sides.

trufflehunterthebadger Thu 27-Mar-14 19:40:49

To all those saying number one has a nicer outside, i don't think OP is planning on living in the front garden ! The inside is what makes a house imho

fideline Thu 27-Mar-14 19:41:09

First is much nicer. Do you have DC?

Wandastartup Thu 27-Mar-14 19:41:13

Like them both , go for number 1 purely because I did my Gp attachment in the surgery at humshaugh and they were so lovely!

Kikibee Thu 27-Mar-14 19:41:51

Number 2. How do you get to garden in number 1? Do neighbours have access over your garden. Mid terrace is a no no

figgieroll Thu 27-Mar-14 19:49:57

I've wondered round the streets. Number one is more attractive mini estate. Number two is a bit bland. Has the village any facilities?

firstchoice Thu 27-Mar-14 19:53:54

Figgie - have you wandered around Stonehaugh?
Or Embleton?
be grateful for your thoughts if either?

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Mar-14 21:11:33

If you have a look on the web, Community Action Northumberland has the 2008 Village Plan for Embleton. It is a conservation area and near National Trust coastline. The plan makes very interesting reading and the fact that the village is near Alnwick would persuade me. Alnwick is one of the best places to live in the UK according to Country Life. The village appears to have a bit of life to it!

Stonehaugh was built for forestry workers, the whole village. This might make it look very uniform. On this basis, Embleton would be better.

firstchoice Thu 27-Mar-14 21:34:48

thanks, MillyMollyMama
will look at that - v grateful for link!
Stonehaugh is very uniform - it is only 1 street grin

lessonsintightropes Thu 27-Mar-14 22:14:29

Alnwick nicer than Hexham IMO but I much prefer house 1, I think the 2nd is a bit tired and dated and will need quite a bit of work,

Clawdy Thu 27-Mar-14 22:45:45

Definitely the second,far less chance of neighbour noise.

MillyMollyMama Fri 28-Mar-14 01:18:23

Sorry I am not better at links firstchoice! If I can find it, you will too!

Definitely second, as it's a front doors together semi so less noise. Especially as you're moving from a detached. I wouldn't buy a mid-terraced if I had the choice.

NanooCov Fri 28-Mar-14 15:28:26

Number 2. The rooms in number one look dark.

HavantGuard Fri 28-Mar-14 15:30:37

Location. I don't know the two areas but you do! Look at (lack of) facilities, neighbours, general area, schools.

You've said your DS would either have to travel with you or use the school transport provided. Being realistic, which of those works best for you. Would having to pick him up and drop him off every day be doable for you? Would he be happy using the school transport? Would lack of a regular bus service interfere with him being able to travel alone or is that not an issue?

Visit at different times to get a feel for the places. You might find you'd have a very noisy neighbour.

As for the houses, look at how you would use the space. Would a dining-kitchen be easier than a separate kitchen and dining room? Do they both have a second loo? Does the 'attic storage room' (they're not allowed to call it a bedroom so it doesn't meet regs or they haven't applied) give you needed separate space? How do you get to it (I've been to see one house where there was just a ladder!) Does the other house have the option of adult only space?

HavantGuard Fri 28-Mar-14 15:32:28

I remember seeing Kim and Aggie clean one of those baths. It involved filling it up with warm water and biological washing powder and then turning on the jets and using a sieve envy

mistlethrush Fri 28-Mar-14 15:40:09

No2 is in a lovely part of the country - beautiful beaches near there, and it looks as though you could walk down there from that village.

WetAugust Fri 28-Mar-14 16:10:19

2nd. The ist is more like a holiday cottage.

But you get a lot of house for your money there. They would be 3 or 4 times were they in my area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now